Hale Center, Texas
|Hale Center, Texas|
Grain elevator in Hale Center
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Elevation||3,419 ft (1,042 m)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|Website||City of Hale Center|
Hale Center lies on the high plains of the Llano Estacado at the intersection of Interstate 27 and Farm to Market Road 1914, in central Hale County. The community is located 11 mi (18 km) to the southwest of the county seat of Plainview and about 33 mi (53 km) north of Lubbock, Texas.
Hale Center is located at (34.0642436 -101.8437866).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2), all land.
Hale Center was founded in 1893 with the merger of two rival communities, Hale City and Epworth, both founded in 1891. Residents moved buildings to the new site. The new post office was named for the fact that the community is at the center of the county.
A tornado destroyed downtown Hale Center on June 2nd 1965, including many businesses, city hall, and the fire station. Casualties included five dead and sixty injured, with $8 million in property damage.
At the 2010 census, there were 2,252 people, 763 households and 568 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,047.3 per square mile (804.3/km²). There were 867 housing units at an average density of 788.2 per square mile (309.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 69.9% White, 4.2% African American, 0.7% Native American, 0.0% Asian, 0.1% from other races, and 2.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 63.2% of the population.
There were 763 households of which 34.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.5% were married couples living together, 14.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.6% were non-families. 22.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.9 and the average family size was 3.41.
31.0% of the population were under the age of 18, 53.8% were persons aged 18–64 years old. 15.2% were persons 65 years of age and older. The median age was 33.9 years. The population is 48.5% male, and 51.5% female. The largest racial or ethnic group is Hispanic.
The median household income was $30,337. The poverty rate was 25.7%
- Llano Estacado
- List of ghost towns in Texas
- Running Water Draw
- Yellow House Draw
- Blackwater Draw
- White River (Texas)
- "Hale Center". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Hale Center, Texas
- Cox, Mary L. "Hale Center, TX". Handbook of Texas Online. Retrieved April 27, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". US Census Bureau. Retrieved 10 May 2013.