|Education||Montana State University, Bozeman (BA)|
University of Washington, Seattle (MFA)
John Lovick is an American magician, writer, and director. Since the 1990s he has performed as a magician throughout the United States and Canada, as well as England, Australia, New Zealand, and Malaysia.
His performing alter ego, Handsome Jack, is a regular performer at the world-famous Magic Castle (the Academy of Magical Arts) in Hollywood, where he has served on the Board of Trustees, and where he won the 2016 "Parlour Magician of the Year" Award after having been nominated thirteen times. Additionally, he is a writer and has written many cover articles for both MAGIC Magazine and Genii Magazine, where he has served as associate editor for both publications. In January 2018, he was featured on the cover of Genii.
Lovick has invented numerous popular magic effects and regularly lectures at magic conventions. In 2006 he compiled and authored "SWITCH: Unfolding the $100 Bill Change," a comprehensive guide to the bill-switch magic trick, which includes history, performance theory, and presentation ideas for the effect. He has also written the books “Experience: The Magic of Jon Allen”, “Mayhew: What Women Want”, and he co-authored “The Paper Engine.” He produced the popular magic demonstration DVD, "Reparation," which teaches his influential method for the Torn and Restored Card. In August 2016 he released a book detailing his own entire professional magic repertoire, entitled "The Performance Pieces & Divertissements of the Famous Handsome Jack, etc." (generally referred to as "Handsome Jack, etc." and published by SquashPublications.com). This book was a best seller in the magic world and the first printing sold out in less than three months. He co-wrote with Asi Wind a book of Wind's creations called "Repertoire" that was released in the spring of 2018.
On July 20, 2015, Lovick (as Handsome Jack) appeared on Penn & Teller: Fool Us and he fooled them with an original Torn and Restored handbill, combined with a presentational angle involving a "Grappler" that he purchased from Harry Anderson. On April 2, 2018, Penn & Teller featured Lovick (as Handsome Jack) as the only guest performer on their one-off special "Penn & Teller: April Fool Us".
He is currently on the faculty of the USC School of Dramatic Arts, where he is an adjunct lecturer.
Lovick lives in Los Angeles, California.
Early life and education
Lovick grew up in Libby, Montana. He graduated from Montana State University before attending the University of Washington School of Drama for graduate studies, where he received an MFA in theatre directing.
- MAGIC Magazine (contributing editor)
- Genii Magazine (associate editor)
- “The Paper Engine” (co-author) (2002, Hermetic Press)
- "SWITCH: Unfolding the $100 Bill Change" (2006, Murphy's Magic Supplies)
- “Experience: The Magic of Jon Allen” (2009, Vanishing Inc.)
- “Mayhew: What Women Want” (2014, Hermetic Press)
- "The Performance Pieces & Divertissements of the Famous Handsome Jack, etc." (2016, Squash Publications)
- "Secrets" by Anthony Owen (additional material by John Lovick) (2017, Vanishing Inc.)
- "Repertoire" by Asi Wind (with John Lovick) (2018)
- 2015 Penn & Teller: Fool Us Trophy
- 2016 Parlour Magician of the Year, Academy of Magical Arts
- 2016 Billy McComb/Jay Marshall Parlour Magician Award
- 2016 Allan Slaight "Sharing Secrets" Award
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 26, 2011. Retrieved September 28, 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)