Shoulder Sleeve Insignia
|Branch||United States Army|
The Hawaiian Division was a division of the United States Army, dedicated to the defense of Hawaii. This division was named rather than numbered, as were the Philippine, Panama Canal and Americal Divisions. It was first activated under the peacetime Square Division Table of Organization and Equipment (TO&E) on 25 February 1921 as the Hawaiian Division using assets of the World War I era 11th Infantry Division. It, the Philippine Division, and the Americal Division were the last three U.S. Army divisions to be named rather than numbered. Joseph E. Kuhn, then in command of Schofield Barracks, oversaw the initial organization and employment of the division.
The division retained the square division TO&E until 1941, when it was reorganized under a triangular division TO&E, and part of its former organization became the core of the new 24th Infantry Division and 25th Infantry Division.
World War II
The 24th and 25th Infantry Divisions were among the first to see combat in World War II and among the last to stop fighting. The Divisions were on Oahu, with headquarters at Schofield Barracks, when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941, and suffered minor casualties. Charged with the defense of Oahu and the Hawaiian Islands, they built an elaborate system of coastal defenses before deploying for further combat operations.
The Hawaiian Division inactivated in October 1941 to provide cadre and units for the 24th and 25th Infantry Divisions. These were triangular divisions with regiments of the Hawaii National Guard providing the third regiment of each division. The 299th Regiment went to the 24th and the 298th Regiment went to the 25th Infantry Division.
- Constituted 1 February 1921 in the Regular Army as Headquarters, Hawaiian Division
- Activated 1 March 1921 at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii
- Inactivated 1 October 1941 at Schofield Barracks
- Edward Mann Lewis: 1924 - 1925
- William R. Smith: 1925 - 1926
- Charles D. Herron: 1937 - 1938
- James A. Woodruff: 1938 - 1939
- William H. Wilson: 1939 - 1940
- Maxwell Murray: 1940 - 1941
- Daniel Sultan: 1941
- Thayer, Bill. "Joseph Ernst Kuhn: Compilation of Entries in Cullum's Register, Volumes III to VIII". penelope.uchicago.edu/. Bill Thayer. Retrieved April 14, 2017.
- http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/carl/download/csipubs/OrderOfBattle/OrderofBattle1.pdf US Army Order of Battle 1919-1940
- U.S. Army Order of Battle 1919–1941, Volume 1. The Arms: Major Commands and Infantry Organizations, 1919–41 by Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Steven E. Clay, Combat Studies Institute Press, Fort Leavenworth, KS, 2011
- 24th Infantry Division Home Page – official site.
- 24th Infantry Division Association
- The 24th Infantry Division in Europe
- GlobalSecurity.org: 24th Infantry Division
- 25th Infantry Division Home Page – official site.
- Lineage and Honors of the 25th Infantry Division Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion
- GlobalSecurity.org: 25th Infantry Division (Light)
- 25th Infantry Division Association
- 35th Infantry Regiment before WW2
- The 11th Field Artillery brigade passes in review, June 24th, 1921
- COA at