|Studio album by Vanessa Amorosi|
|Released||6 November 2009
(see release history)
|Recorded||Fishhead Music Studios, Gothenburg, Sweden
The Lab, Los Angeles
|Genre||Pop rock, Electropop|
|Label||Universal Music Australia|
|Vanessa Amorosi chronology|
|Singles from Hazardous|
Hazardous is the fourth studio album by Vanessa Amorosi, released in Australia on 6 November 2009 to critical and commercial success, debuting at #7 on the ARIA Albums Chart and Platinum accreditation in Australia. The album's lead single, "This Is Who I Am", became Amorosi's first and only number one-charting single, reaching #1 on the ARIA Singles Chart in its first week of release.
Hazardous was released in November 2009, less than 18 months after her previous studio album, Somewhere in the Real World. On working with songwriting team Machopsycho, she said: "It was literally pouring out of us. It's such a crazy thing when you have the right magic and chemistry going on – the songs tend to write themselves and really quickly."
"This album is so raw and edgy and out-there... it might scare people who've bought my albums in the past," she said. "The whole album is all the stuff I've never wanted to talk about, and I've only now had the courage to put it out there. I had a lot to say with this album, that's why it came so quickly. I think a lot of people thought I'd take my time again, which I was nervous about. We were going to head to Europe with the last album, but then it would've been another two years, and people would've thought 'I'm tired of buying her records, she pisses off after each one'."
Compared to the more soul and soft rock-influenced pop of Somewhere in the Real World, Hazardous features a more electropop and pop-rock sound. The album notably is Amorosi's first to feature a rap verse in one of her songs, that being Seany B's appearance in "Mr. Mysterious". Hazardous is, to date, Amorosi's second-best selling album behind her debut, The Power, debuting at #7 on the ARIA Albums Chart on 22 November 2009. The album dropped out of the top ten the next week, spending 24 weeks in the top fifty.
Matthew Chisling of Allmusic lauded Hazardous, calling it "ruthless and exciting", and Amorosi's vocals "roof-raising". He also noted the album's mainstream sound, pointing out how the album was "even more radio accessible [than Somewhere in the Real World]", and said that "It's no surprise that any of the tracks could be as popular as the two first singles". Whilst he felt the album's upbeat sound "impedes on the presence of ballads as beautiful as Amorosi's previous number one single, "Perfect", he felt the album complemented Somewhere in the Real World as "two parts of a glorious release".
|1.||"This Is Who I Am"||Vanessa Amorosi, MachoPsycho (Robin Lynch & Niklas Olovson)||3:25|
|2.||"Mr. Mysterious" (featuring Seany B)||Amorosi, MachoPsycho||4:00|
|4.||"Hazardous"||Amorosi, Stefanie Ridel, Stuart Crichton, T James||3:26|
|5.||"Off on My Kiss"||Amorosi, MachoPsycho||3:31|
|6.||"Show Me How to Love"||Amorosi, Pam Reswick||4:04|
|7.||"Aliens & U.F.O.s"||Amorosi, MachoPsycho||3:15|
|8.||"Summer Nights"||Amorosi, MachoPsycho||2:53|
|9.||"Touch Me"||Amorosi, MachoPsycho||3:05|
|10.||"Baby's on Ice"||Amorosi, MachoPsycho||3:32|
|11.||"Sleep with That"||Amorosi, MachoPsycho||3:26|
|12.||"Higher Ground"||Amorosi, Reswick||3:50|
|13.||"Blow Me Away"||Amorosi, Matthew Gerrard, Steve Diamond||3:32|
|14.||"Snitch" (featuring Vince Colosimo)||Amorosi, MachoPsycho||3:27|
|Australian iTunes Store edition|
|15.||"This Is Who I Am" (MachoPsycho 'Euro Tech' Remix)||K Sebert, Dr. Luke, B. Blanco||4:02|
|English iTunes Store edition|
|16.||"Off On My Kiss" (Buzz Junkies Remix)||Amorosi, MachoPsycho||3:30|
- Released in October 2009, the song debuted at #1 on the Australian Singles Chart, becoming Amorosi's first-ever number one single. It spent two weeks atop the chart, and has been certified 2× platinum for sales in excess of 140,000 copies.
- Released in December 2009, the song peaked at #29 on the Australian Singles Chart.
- "Mr. Mysterious" was released in April as the albums 3rd single. It debuted at #65, eventually rising up the charts. On 9 May 2010, "Mr. Mysterious" had peaked at the position of #4 on the Australian Singles Chart.
- "Off on My Kiss"
- Released as a digital single on 14 May 2010 in the UK. It includes an additional remix; "Off on My Kiss" (Buzz Junkies Remix).
- "Holiday" was released in Australia on 13 August 2010.
Charts and certifications
|Australian Albums Chart||7||Platinum||70,000+|
End of year charts
|2009||Australia||ARIA End Of Year Albums 2009||78|
|2010||Australia||ARIA End of Year Albums 2010||70|
- Produced by MachoPsycho. Recorded at Fishhead studios, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Track 11 and 13 produced by Matthew Gerrard. Recorded at The Lab, Los Angeles
- Vocals on track 6 and 12 recorded by Pam Reswick
- Mixed by Chris Lord Alge at Mix L.A. studios, Los Angeles
- Mastered by Tom Sterling at Sterling sound, New York City
- A&R: Ralph Carr
- Executive producers: Ralph Carr and Vanessa Amorosi
- Management: Ralph Carr for RCM
- Foto & art: Pierre Baroni
|Australia||6 November 2009||Digital download, CD album||Universal||2724567|
|Germany||13 July 2010||Digital download|
|23 July 2010||CD album|
|United Kingdom||26 July 2010||Digital download, CD album||Island|
- "Hazardous". Vanessa Amorosi. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "ARIA Top 100 Albums – Week Commencing 16th November 2009" (PDF). ARIA. 16 November 2009. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2009 Albums
- "Pandora Archive: ARIA Top 100 Singles - Week Commencing 19th October 2009" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association. Aria.com.au. 19 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-19.
- McCabe, Kathy (26 December 2009). "Shining imperfections". Perth Now. The Sunday Times. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- Starobserver: Vanessa looking hazardous
- "Vanessa Amorosi - Hazardous (album)". Australian-charts.com. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- Chisling, Matthew. "Review: Hazardous - Vanessa Amorosi Allmusic Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "International Certification Award levels" (PDF). IFPI. March 2013. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- iTunes: Off On My Kiss - Single by Vanessa Amorosi
- 7digital: Vanessa Amorosi - Off On My Kiss MP3 Downloads
- "ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2009 Albums". ARIA. 31 December 2009. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Vanessa Amorosi - Hazardous". Acharts.us. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Accreditations". ARIA. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- ARIA charts: End of year charts Top-100 albums 2009
- "ARIA Top 100 Albums 2010". Aria.com.au. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- UMusic: Vanessa Amorosi - Hazardous
- Universal Music: Vanessa Amorosi - Hazardous - (CD)
- Habbo Hotel - News - Meet Vanessa Amorosi in Habbo
- Amazon.co.uk: Hazardous - Vanessa Amorosi