Helen Ward (footballer)
|Full name||Helen Jane Ward|
|Date of birth||26 April 1986|
|Place of birth||Brent, England|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Helen Jane Ward (née Lander; born 26 April 1986) is an international football striker who plays club football for FA WSL 2 team Reading. Ward previously spent three seasons with Chelsea Ladies, whom she joined from Arsenal in 2010. Born in the London Borough of Brent, Ward began her career with 14 years at Watford Ladies where she was a prolific goalscorer and team captain.
Ward played for the England women's national under-23 football team in 2007, but chose to represent Wales at senior level in 2008. With over 30 goals, she is the Welsh national team's all–time record goalscorer.
Ward began her career with Watford Ladies, joining at the age of nine and progressing to become captain of the senior side. She left to join Arsenal Ladies in January 2009, scoring on her debut later that month as Arsenal beat Colchester United in the FA Women's Cup.
In December 2013, Ward announced a transfer from Chelsea to Reading. There she was reunited with former Arsenal and Wales teammate Jayne Ludlow, who was Reading's manager. Ward returned to training ahead of the 2015 FA WSL 2 season, after giving birth to daughter Emily in September 2014.
Ward represented England at Under-23 level, but, due to her mother's father being Welsh, she made her senior debut for Wales against Luxembourg on 30 September 2008. Wales came from behind to win 6–1, with Ward scoring the second goal.
In August 2010 Ward scored six goals in Wales' 15–0 win over Azerbaijan. She was listed as a Chelsea player. By the time of Ward's 50th cap, against Belarus in September 2013, she had scored 30 international goals.
- Scores and results list Wales's goal tally first.
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/10/2009 and 31 October 2009" (PDF). The Football Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 20 January 2010. Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- "Statistics 2008–2009". Arsenal F.C. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "International Teams – Helen Lander". The Football Association of Wales. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "20. Helen Lander". Arsenal F.C. Archived from the original on 31 January 2010. Retrieved 13 August 2009.
- Leighton, Tony (18 January 2009). "FA Women's Cup round four review". BBC Sport. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Women's weekly". Chelsea F.C. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Helen Ward Joins Reading". She Kicks. 1 December 2013. Retrieved 2 December 2013.
- "Strikers / Helen Ward". Reading F.C. Women. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Emma & Helen Get Capped". Watford Ladies Football Club. 22 July 2007. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Wales hit Luxembourg for six". Women's Soccer Scene. 1 October 2008. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Wales run riot against Azerbaijan". Women's Soccer Scene. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- Newson, Adam (6 October 2013). "Chelsea Ladies striker Helen Ward says she has no regrets after choosing to play for Wales instead of England". Watford Observer. Retrieved 7 November 2013.