HELOG is a former helicopter company based in Germany which runs training courses in Africa.
Its chief project is an academy in Liberia which trains school-leavers to maintain and repair machinery. The academy is supported by Germany's Federal Ministry of Education and Research. Helog says it has also signed an agreement with aid agency Mercy Corps to train students how to install renewable energy systems in households.
In its previous incarnation, Helog operated a range of aviation services, including:
- Humanitarian aid, disaster relief, logistics and surveillance.
In 2009, WikiLeaks released a United Nations audit from 2007 which detailed invoices submitted by Helog. The UN disagreed about the availability of helicopters in Sudan during a $29 million peacekeeping contract.
In 2010, police in Freetown became involved when a Helog helicopter was thought to have landed at a hospital without prior notice.
In 2012, Helog management decided to refocus their business on training.
In August 2016, Helog opened its academy in Liberia.
- "Contact/Imprint". Helog. 2015. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- Tamba, Gloria T. (3 August 2016). "VP Boakai Opens HELOG Academy Urges Students to Exercise Discipline". Daily Observer. Liberian Observer Corporation. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- "Solar competence". Helog. 2015. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- "Donors: We thank our Donors for their generous contributions". Helog. 2015. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- "Helog Emergency Response: Appropriate Responses in Wildland Fire Emergency Situations". Global Fire Monitoring Center. University of Freiburg. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- "Appropriate Responses in Emergency Situations [pamphlet]" (PDF). Global Fire Monitoring Center [host]. Compass Holdings [Switzerland]. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- http://www.helog-global.com/en/menu_main/intern:33/about-helog/boxnewsshow1-hovercraft Archived 2011-11-11 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-05. Retrieved 2011-10-02.
- "About Helog". Helog. 2015. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- "United Nations Mission in the Sudan: Audit of the calculatino [sic] of "Not Available" days under the contract with Helog Lufttransport KG and related invoices submitted by Helog (AP2007-632-17), 2 Nov 2007". WikiLeaks. 12 January 2009. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- Turay, Aruna (18 August 2010). "In Sierra Leone, Unexpected Helicopter lands at Choithram’s Hospital". Awareness Times. Awareness Times Sierra Leone.