Henry J. Eyring
Henry Johnson Eyring
|17th President of Brigham Young University–Idaho|
|Assumed office |
April 10, 2017
|Preceded by||Clark Gilbert|
|Born||September 19, 1963|
Palo Alto, California, United States
|Spouse(s)||Kelly Ann Child|
|Parents||Henry B. Eyring|
Kathleen Johnson Eyring
|Alma mater||Brigham Young University (B.S., MBA, J.D.)|
|Profession||Academic administrator, author, businessman|
|Website||Office of the President|
|Institutions||Brigham Young University-Idaho, Brigham Young University|
Henry Johnson Eyring (born September 19, 1963) is an American academic administrator, author, and businessman. He is the 17th and current president of Brigham Young University–Idaho (BYU–Idaho). He previously served as both the Academic and Advancement vice president at BYU-Idaho, as well as director of the Marriott School of Management MBA program at Brigham Young University (BYU).
Early life and education
Eyring was born in Palo Alto, California, a son of Henry B. Eyring and Kathleen Johnson Eyring. The family lived in California while Eyring's father taught at the Stanford Graduate School of Business until 1971, when they moved to Rexburg, Idaho when his father was appointed president of Ricks College (present day BYU–Idaho). From 1982 to 1984, Eyring served as a full-time missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) in the Japan Nagoya Mission. Eyring is a graduate of BYU where he received a bachelor's degree in geology ('85), an MBA ('89) and a law degree ('89).
From 1989 to 1998, Eyring was with a Cambridge, Massachusetts management-consulting firm, Monitor Group, which was founded in 1983 by six entrepreneurs with Harvard Business School (HBS) ties. He has also served as a director of SkyWest Airlines since 1995. From 2002 to 2003 he was a special partner with Peterson Capital.
Eyring began employment at BYU-Idaho, in Rexburg, in 2006. Eyring initially served as an Associate Academic Vice President, with responsibility for online learning and instructional technology. From 2008 to 2015, Eyring served as BYU-Idaho's Advancement Vice President. He then served from 2015 to 2017 as BYU-Idaho's Academic Vice President. On February 7, 2017, Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles announced that Eyring would succeed Clark Gilbert as president of BYU–Idaho, effective April 10, 2017. His official inauguration occurred on September 19, 2017.
In 2011, while serving as BYU-Idaho's Advancement Vice President, Eyring co-authored The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education with HBS professor Clayton M. Christensen, discussing the future of higher education and making college economically viable while conducting an in depth look at the histories of Harvard University and BYU-Idaho. Eyring has also served as a trustee of Southern Utah University and is an adjunct fellow at the Clayton Christensen Institute for Disruptive Innovation.
Eyring and his wife, Kelly, have five children and reside in Rexburg, Idaho. In addition to presiding over the Japan Tokyo North Mission, Eyring has served in the LDS Church as a bishop and stake president. Eyring's oldest son, Henry, is an assistant professor of accounting at The London School of Economics and Political Science.
Eyring's great-great-grandmother was a Romney. "In fact, [his] grandfather’s father was married to two Romney sisters. They were driven out of the United States, to Mexico [due to polygamy]. Then they were driven out of Mexico, by Pancho Villa and the Mexican Revolution." Mitt Romney's son, Tagg, has also worked at Monitor Group. Eyring spoke about Mitt Romney and the ethic of education, business, law and politics in Mormomism in a New Yorker article by Nicholas Lemann. Lemann was addressing Romney's formative influences, experience and philosophy during the 2012 U.S. presidential election.
Eyring is a grandson of American theoretical chemist Henry Eyring and wrote a biography of his grandfather entitled Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring. He also co-wrote a biography about his father, Henry B. Eyring, an educational administrator and LDS Church leader, entitled I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B. Eyring.
- Eyring, Henry J.; Eaton, Robert I. (2013), I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B. Eyring, Deseret Book, ISBN 978-1-60907-783-9, OCLC 1609077830
- ——; Christensen, Clayton M. (2011), The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education, Jossey-Bass, ISBN 978-1-11806-348-4, OCLC 1118063481
- —— (2010), Major Decisions: Taking Charge of Your College Education, Deseret Book, ISBN 978-1-60641-636-5, OCLC 1606416367
- —— (2008), Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring, Deseret Book, ISBN 978-1-59038-854-9, OCLC 1590388542
- List of presidents of Brigham Young University–Idaho
- List of J. Reuben Clark Law School alumni
- Brigham Young University-Idaho
- "Henry J. Eyring becomes President of BYU-Idaho". Byui.edu. 2017-04-10. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- "Leadership changes at BYU-Idaho: A Message from the President ", BYU–Idaho Scroll, July 9, 2015.
- "Henry J. Eyring". Christensen Institute. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- Profile, Forbes. "2003 to 2006". Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- "New BYU–Idaho President Henry J. Eyring Looks to the Lord for Guidance - Church News and Events". Lds.org. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- Lemann, Nicholas, "Transaction Man: Mormonism, private equity, and the making of a candidate", The New Yorker, October 1, 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-07.
- About the author, MajorDecisionsForCollege.com. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- Executive Profile: Henry J. Eyring J.D., Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- Jones, Morgan. "Henry J. Eyring announced as new president of BYU-Idaho", Deseret News. Salt Lake City, 7 February 2017. Retrieved on 7 February 2017
- "President Henry J. Eyring Inauguration". www.byui.edu. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- http://www.theinnovativeuniversity.com/. Retrieved 2017-05-13. Missing or empty
- Southern Utah University webpage bio Archived 2008-12-10 at the Wayback Machine.; 2002 board reappointment noted in "New Appointees to SUU Board of Trustees Announced", SUU In View (Alumni magazine), Spring 2002. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 10, 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-27.
- "New stake presidents", Church News, December 15, 2007.
- editor, Department of Accounting web. "Dr Henry Eyring - Profiles - People - Accounting - Home". www.lse.ac.uk. Retrieved 20 November 2017.
- Simons, Jack, "Remembering Henry Eyring", Chemical and Engineering News (v.86/n.23), June 9, 2008.
- Lythgoe, Dennis, "Grandson tells story of famous LDS scientist", Deseret News, Feb. 10, 2008.
- Bio of Eyring, mormonscientist.org. Archived April 13, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
Clark G. Gilbert
| President of Brigham Young University–Idaho
April 10, 2017 – current