Henry J. Eyring
|Henry Johnson Eyring|
September 19, 1963 |
Palo Alto, California, United States
|Nationality||United States of America|
|Alma mater||Brigham Young University (BS, MBA, JD)|
|Occupation||Academic Vice President, Brigham Young University-Idaho, USA|
|Spouse(s)||Kelly Ann Child|
Henry Johnson Eyring (born September 19, 1963) is an American academic administrator, author, and businessman. He is currently the Academic Vice President at Brigham Young University–Idaho (BYU-Idaho). He previously served as the BYU-Idaho Advancement Vice President and as director of the Marriott School of Management MBA program at Brigham Young University (BYU).
Early life and education
Eyring was born in Palo Alto, California, a son of Henry B. Eyring and Kathleen Johnson Eyring. The family lived in California while Eyring's father taught at the Stanford Graduate School of Business until 1971, when they moved to Rexburg, Idaho when his father was appointed president of Ricks College. Eyring is a graduate of BYU where he received a bachelor's degree in geology ('85), an MBA ('89) and a law degree ('89).
From 1989 to 1998, Eyring was with a Cambridge, Massachusetts management-consulting firm, Monitor Group, which was founded in 1983 by six entrepreneurs with Harvard Business School ties. He has also served as a director of SkyWest Airlines since 1995. From 2002 to 2003 he was a special partner with Peterson Capital.
In 2006, after returning from Japan, Eyring began employment at BYU-Idaho, in Rexburg. Eyring initially served as an Associate Academic Vice President, with responsibility for online learning and instructional technology. He later became the university's Advancement Vice President. In 2011, he also co-authored The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education with Harvard Business School professor Clayton M. Christensen, discussing the future of higher education and making college economically viable while conducting an in depth look at the histories of Harvard University and BYU-Idaho. In 2015, Eyring began service as the Academic Vice President.
Eyring and his wife, Kelly, have five children and reside in Rexburg, Idaho. In addition to presiding over the mission in Japan, Eyring has served in the LDS Church as a bishop and stake president.
Eyring's great-great-grandmother was a Romney. "In fact, [his] grandfather’s father was married to two Romney sisters. They were driven out of the United States, to Mexico [due to polygamy]. Then they were driven out of Mexico, by Pancho Villa and the Mexican Revolution." Mitt Romney's son, Tagg, has also worked at Monitor Group. Eyring spoke about Mitt Romney and the ethic of education, business, law and politics in Mormomism in a New Yorker article by Nicholas Lemann. Lemann was addressing Romney's formative influences, experience and philosophy during the United States presidential election, 2012.
Eyring is a grandson of American theoretical chemist Henry Eyring and wrote a biography of his grandfather entitled Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring. He also co-wrote a biography about his father, Henry B. Eyring, an educational administrator and LDS Church leader, entitled I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B. Eyring.
- Eyring, Henry J. (2008), Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: Deseret Book, ISBN 978-1-59038-854-9.
- Eyring, Henry J. (2010), Major Decisions: Taking Charge of Your College Education, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: Deseret Book, ISBN 978-1-60641-636-5.
- Christensen, Clayton M.; Eyring, Henry J. (2011), The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education, Hoboken, New Jersey, USA: Jossey-Bass, ISBN 978-1-1180-6348-4. External link in
- Eaton, Robert I.; Eyring, Henry J. (2013), I Will Lead You Along: The Life of Henry B. Eyring, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA: Deseret Book, ISBN 9781609077839.
- "Leadership changes at BYU-Idaho: A Message from the President ", BYU–Idaho Scroll, July 9, 2015.
- Profile, Forbes. "2003 to 2006". Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- Lemann, Nicholas, "Transaction Man: Mormonism, private equity, and the making of a candidate", The New Yorker, October 1, 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-07.
- About the author, MajorDecisionsForCollege.com. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- Executive Profile: Henry J. Eyring J.D., Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 2012-10-10.
- Southern Utah University webpage bio; 2002 board reappointment noted in "New Appointees to SUU Board of Trustees Announced", SUU In View (Alumni magazine), Spring 2002. Archived December 10, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "New stake presidents", Church News, December 15, 2007.
- Simons, Jack, "Remembering Henry Eyring", Chemical and Engineering News (v.86/n.23), June 9, 2008.
- Lythgoe, Dennis, "Grandson tells story of famous LDS scientist", Deseret News, Feb. 10, 2008.
- Bio of Eyring, mormonscientist.org. Archived April 13, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.