Full Professor Henri Kuprashvili (Georgian: ჰენრი კუპრაშვილი) (born 13 September 1946 in Khashuri) is a Georgian Doctor of Political Sciences, First Class State Councillor who is most notable for breaking a Guinness record for swimming the Dardanelles, with his hands and feet bound in a traditional Georgian style of swimming, also known as Colchian. Kuprashvili has been awarded the Order of Vakhtang Gorgasali and George Byron Golden Medal.
He was the first man to swim the Dardanelles, from Europe to Asia, with his hands and feet bound in four places following the Georgian military-training swimming style known as "Hands and feet bound Colchian". He completed this swim in three and a quarter hours, on August 30, 2002. Leading up to the event, Kuprashvili went through a vigorous training schedule, including a 2 kilometre swim at "Laguna Vere". On January 28, 2001, Kuprashvili completed this swim in 92 minutes, using the same military-training swimming style. Kuprashvili is planning to swim across the Bosporus, the Strait of Gibraltar, and the English Channel, using the same style of swimming.
Henry Kuprashvili took part in Cross-Continental Swimming across the Bosphorus Strait from Asia to Europe in 01:03:14 (distance 6500 m.) organized by National Olympic Committee of Turkey on July 7, 2013 (took 16th place among 50 swimmers). More than 1500 swimmers from 37 different countries of the World took part in the Marathon. Henry Kuprashvili’s main competitors were American, Netherlander, Italian, Russian, Brazilian, Japanese and Turkish professional marathon swimmers born during the period 1944 – 1953. Henri Kuprashvili World Champion in Triathle.
Also, Henry Kuprashvili showed himself as a coach:
Also, his student, Para swimmer Nika Tvauri took the third place and won Bronze Medal in swimming 50 meters distance using breaststroke among SB-11 category swimmers on 4th IBSA World Championship and Games in Alania, Turkey (1-10.04.2011). This medal was the first in the history of independent Georgian swimming sport.
Henry Kuprashvili’s another student, 17-year-old Ana Lominadze, using old Georgian Military-training style “Mkherdruli Kolkhuri” (Military Colchian), swam across the Dardanelle’s Strait on 30 August 2012. She swam 5 500 meters in 50 minutes. She was the first woman on earth that swam across the Dardanelle’s Strait from Asia to Europe using Georgian Military-training swimming style. The competition was dedicated to this the tenth anniversary after Henry Kuprashvili swimming across the Dardanelles Strait.
Henry Kuprashvili is credited with reviving the Georgian style of swimming, which consists of several styles (“Lazuri” (Free Colchian), “Mkherdruli Kolkhuri” (Military Colchian)- “Hands and feet bound Kolkhuri”, “Apkhazuri” (Abkhazian), “Okribula”, “Iberiuli” (Iberian), “Takhvia” and partly “Khashuruli” and “Kizikuri”.), including the "Hands and feet bound Kolkhuri" as practised by Kuprashvili. He has initiated the study and development of a unique, Georgian method of swimming, and has written the first textbook about the methods of studying and training in Georgian national styles of swimming.
A swimming competition for young swimmers, trained in “Mkherdruli Kolkhuri” (Military Colchian) by Kuprashvili, was held on September 3, 2006 at Tbilisi. The first place at this competition was taken by 12-year-old swimmer Irakli Shengelia, who swam 3,500 meters in 40 minutes and 47 seconds. 13-year-old Nastia Grivach took second place (46.11.00), and third place was jointly taken by 11-year-old Nino Basilaia and 12-year-old Ani Sichinava (57.54.00). A second competition was held on August 30, 2007, with Irakli Shengelia again coming first. The competition was dedicated to this fifth anniversary after Henry Kuprashvili’s swimming across the Dardanelles Strait.
Eduard Shevardnadze, President of Georgia from 1995 to 2003, wrote to congratulate Kuprashvili on his achievement at the Dardanelles. He was named "Person of the Year 2002" by the journal Akhali epoka.
Kuprashvili is also a historian, journalist, and Full Professor of Political Science at the Georgian Technical University. He is the President of Georgian Federation of National Swimming Styles, the founder and the chairman of Saint David the builder’s Union of Chokhawearers, and the Seaside Guardians Association of Aeetes He has been awarded a medal for "Courage" (1993), the Order of Vakhtang Gorgasali Second Class (2002), and the golden medal of George Byron.
In 2003, by the Order of the President of Georgia (1299) he was given the rank of First Class State Advisor. Kuprashvili has defended his candidate's thesis on the topic "The geopolitical status of Georgia and priorities in Foreign policy" (1999) and Doctoral thesis on topic “Informational Politics in the process of political modernization” (2003). He has attended the high management courses for increasing qualification level in Cairo, Egypt (1995), and in addition, he took part in senior courses at the George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies in Germany (2000).
At the National Security Council of Georgia, he created the system of strategic analysis and global modeling “Didgori”, the program “Aisi” for analysis and prognosis of political events with the help of the Politimetric method.
Between 1968 and 2006 Kuprashvili worked at the Georgian Technical University, initially as an assistant, and later as associate professor, and Deputy Chairman of the trade union committee. He is now Professor of the sub-faculty of Politology and International relations at the Georgian Technical University. Between 1977 and 1979, he worked at the Tbilisi City Committee of People’s Control, as chairperson of the methodology seminar. From 1989 to 1992 he worked for the Popular Front of Georgia, as head of the department and assistant to the Chairman. During 1992 he was Responsible Secretary of the Special Governmental Commission on Tskhinvali Region Problems, at the Cabinet of Georgia. Between 1992 and 1996, he was Head of the Service of Control of the tasks assigned by the President and relations with State management bodies, Chief State Advisor. From 1996 to 2004 he worked at of the Office of the National Security Council of Georgia as Head Of the Information–Analytical Service; the Director of Department of Monitoring, Analysis Security and Information; Chief of the Information Analysis Department. Since 2005 he has been Chief of Coordination Division of Governmental Special Communications and Information Agency of Georgia. Between 1996 and 2002 he was the representative of Georgia to the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) member countries’ information coordination council.
In 1967, while serving in the Soviet Army, and then while working in Polytechnical Institute of Georgia (1975), Kuprashvili was given a notice for thinking differently, dissident inclinations, and spreading illegal literature, by the USSR Committee for State Security (the KGB).
Kuprashvili is the son of Otar Kuprashvili (1924–1974), commissioner of the State Philarmony, and Nora Lapiashvili (born 1925). His grandfather, Luka Kuprashvili (1896–1924), born in Tsutskhvati, Tkibuli region, perished during the Georgian military rebellion against Bolshevik Russia. Henry Kuprashvili is married to Ludmila Kovalets-Kuprashvili, and the couple have four children.
- "The Order of Vakhtang Gorgasali Second Class. Henri Kuprashvili. Eduard Shevardnadze. YouTube".
- "CNN - 05.11.2002. Henry Kuprashvili YouTube".
- "Henry Kuprashvili". Georgia Today. Retrieved 2008-11-04.
- "CNN - 17.02.01. Henry Kuprashvili YouTube".
- I.T. : И.Ц. - Грузия Online. "67-летний Генри Купрашвили примет участие в межконтинентальном заплыве через Босфор". Apsny.ge. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- ИТАР-ТАСС : Более 1500 спортсменов примут участие в марафонском заплыве через Босфор (in Russian). Itar-tass.com. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "Грузинский профессор переплыл Босфор » Тбилисская неделя". Georgianpress.ru. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "Georgia wins dozens of medals at Biathle and Triathle World Championships".
- "Генри Купрашвили: вместо легализации марихуаны лучше позаботиться о здоровом образе жизни молодежи".
- "Грузинский подросток решил переплыть Дарданеллы со связанными руками и ногами @ News Central". Russianamerica.com. 2008-04-29. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "Подросток переплывет Дарданеллы со связанными руками и ногами - новость из рубрики Мозаика, актуальная информация, обсуждение новости, дискуссии на Newsland". Newsland.com. 2012-03-22. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "Boğazı, eli ve kolu bağlı geçecek" (in Turkish). Yenisafak.com.tr. 4 May 2008. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "Eli kolu bağlı Boğaz'ı geçecek" (in Turkish). Yenisafak.com.tr. 6 May 2008. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- Erekle Meskhi (2011-04-11). "Olympic Sports - Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs of Georgia". Msy.gov.ge. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "BBC News - Can these Paralympians inspire disabled people in Georgia?". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-08-23. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "Henri Kuprashvili Nika Tvauri YouTube".
- "File:Nika Tvauri pedes medali.JPG - Wikimedia Commons". Commons.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "Georgian Records Federation - Ana Lominadze's world record (CNN YouTube".
- "17 летняя девушка плывет со связанными руками и ногами YouTube".
- "Balık gibi boğazı geçti - Takvim - 02 Eylül 2012". Takvim. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "Çanakkale Boğazı'nı elleri-kolları bağlı yüzerek geçti CNN TÜRK Video". Cnnturkwebtv.com. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "File:Anna Lominadze swimming Free Colchian style.jpg - Wikimedia Commons". Commons.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2013-09-14.
- "The first swimming championship in Georgian style of swimming Lazuri (free Kolkhuri) YouTube".
- "REUTERS 2007. The second traditional Tbilisi Sea group swimming... YouTube".
- Sakartvelos respublika. #213, September 4, 2002
- Akhali epoka, #75, December 27, 2002 - January 9, 2003
- "The David the builders union of Chokhawearers 1973-2009. YouTube".
- "The David the builders union of Chokhawearers 1973-2010.YouTube".
- "The National Seaside Guardians Association of Georgia "AIETI". Competition. 1991.06. YouTube".
- Shakarashvili, M. "Georgia Searches for Stolen Golden Fleece at the Doorstep of Europe". Georgia Today. Issue #351, 06.04.2007 * Strelkova, R. "To Wear or not to Wear (a Chokha)? That is the Question". Georgia Today. Issue #372, 31.08.2007 * Cavaliere Charles. The human dolphin’s philosophy of life. Georgia Today. Issue #, 11-17.07.2003 * 
Books by Kuprashvili
- Kuprashvili H. (1997). About Some Moments of our Politics. (Ed. G. Koranashvili; Painter Sh. Bostanashvili) – Tbilisi. Military cartographic factory. UDC: 323(479.22) + 94(47+57). * Kuprashvili H. (1999) Gnoseological Aspects of the National liberation Movement. (Ed. S. Sharikadze). "Society Tsodna". Tbilisi. (Monograph). ISBN 5-89512-126-8. * Problems of Political Scinence. (1999) Ed. H. Kuprashvili. Part I. "Society Tsodna". Tbilisi. ISBN 5-89512-106-3 * Doliashvili T., Kuprashvili H. (2001). Political Conflicts (Political Questions in the Schemes). (Ed. Abesadze G.). Part I. Tbilisi State University. "Society Tsodna". Tbilisi. (Resume in English and Russian languages). UDC: 323.22/28 + 316.48 + 32.001. * Kuprashvili H. (2003) Political development and political modernization. – Politology. Course of lectures. Second filled publication./Under the editorship of Professor O. Gogiashvili. - Tbilisi: Publishing house “Universali”. Unit VIII, pg. 201-220. ISBN 99928-976-7-8. * Kuprashvili H. (2004) National security: Problematic situation and criteria (theoretical-methodological aspects of research of national editorship security of Georgia). – Politology. Recommended for instruction for students./Under the editorship of Professor Gogiashvili O. - Tbilisi: Publishing house - TSU. Unit X pg. 328-351. ISBN 99928-33-53-X * Kuprashvili, H. (2004) Georgian swimming. Tbilisi. ISBN 99940-0-190-6. * Kuprashvili, H. Sharashenidze T. (2005) Political Aspects of the Formation of the National Information System in Post-Communist Georgia. Politics, Ethics, and the Challenges to Democracy in 'New Independent States’. Council for Research in Values and Philosophy. Cultural Heritage and Contemporary Change Series IVA, Eastern and Central Europe, Volume 29. General Editor George F. McLean. Washington 2005. Chapter XI. P. 133-141. ISBN 978-1-56518-224-0 (pbk.) * Kuprashvili, H. (2007) Education, as the main condition for responsibility rise *Kuprashvili H., Odisharia K. (2011) A number of aspects of Automatic system of Informational-analytical provision for National Security. Transactions. Automated control systems. Georgian Technical University. Tbilisi, #1, p. 229-233. ISSN 1512-3979. * Kuprashvili H. (2011) Terms ” ushishroeba” (Security) and ” usaprtkhoeba” (Safety) and issues related to their usage. Transactions. Automated control systems. Georgian Technical University. Tbilisi, #1, p. 227-229. ISSN 1512-3979. * Kuprashvili H. (2011) The Great Russian Yoke in Georgia 1st half of the 19th century (The Great Rusianoba in Georgia). Tbilisi: Publishing house - “Universali”. ISBN 978-9941-17-381-3. * Kuprashvili H. (2011) Russian Colonial Policy of Robbery and National Humiliation in Georgia and Georgian social-political ideas in I half of XIX c. Tbilisi: Publishing house - “Technical University”. ISBN 978-9941-14-978-8. * Kuprashvili H. (2012) Five Immortal Georgians. (The first half of XIX c.) Tbilisi: Publishing house - “Universali”. ISBN 978-9941-17-569-5 * Kuprashvili H. (2012) System Information the Provision of National Security. Tbilisi: Publishing house - “Technical University”. ISBN 978-9941-20-073-1 * Henri Kuprashvili. (2014) TERMS „USHISHROEBA“ (SECURITY) AND „USAPRTKHOEBA“ (SAFETY) AND ISSUES RELATED TO THEIR USAGE. Tbilisi, Publishing house - “Universali”. ISBN 978-9941-22-407-2. *Henri Kuprashvili. (2016) Main Political Trends in Modern Europe. lecture course. Tbilisi: Publishing house - “Technical University”. 224 p. ISBN 978-9941-20-699-3. *Henri Kuprashvili. (2017) The System Political Governance of Europe. lecture course. Tbilisi: Publishing house - “Technical University”. 240 p. ISBN 978-9941-20-763-1
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Henry Kuprashvili.|
- Dr. Henry Kuprashvili
- Video interview with Henry Kuprashvili, from Reuters
- Цанов Иван. Грузинци се състезават на техен плувен стил.The First Bulgarian Swimming Site
- Ivan Tsanov. Colchian-Iberian style of swimming… - The First Bulgarian Swimming Site