|Sir Henry Seton-Karr|
5 February 1853|
|Died||29 May 1914
RMS Empress of Ireland, St. Lawrence River
|Alma mater||Corpus Christi College, Oxford (MA)|
|Occupation||Explorer, hunter, author, politician|
|Spouse(s)||Edith Eliza Pilkington (1880–1884) (her death)
Jane Jarvie Thorburn (1886–1914) (his death)
Seton-Karr was the son of George Berkeley Seton-Karr, of the Indian Civil Service and his wife who was Eleanor, the daughter of Henry Usborne of Branches Park, Suffolk. He was educated at Harrow School and Corpus Christi College, University of Oxford gaining an MA in Law and was called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn in 1879. Seton-Karr owned a cattle ranch (Pick Ranch) in Wyoming, USA and was a director of Capitol Freehold Land and Investment Co. He was an explorer, big game hunter and writer.
Seton-Karr was elected as the Member of Parliament (MP) for St Helens in the 1885 general election and held the seat until his defeat at the 1906 general election. He did not stand again in St Helens, but at the January 1910 general election he stood unsuccessfully in Berwickshire.
He became a Deputy Lieutenant of Roxburghshire in 1896, and was made a Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) in October 1902.
Seton-Karr died in Canada's greatest maritime disaster when the Empress of Ireland sank in the St. Lawrence River when he was returning to England from a hunting trip in British Columbia. He was interred at the Mount Hermon Cemetery, Sillery.
On 11 November 1880 Seton-Karr married Edith Eliza Pilkington (1860-1886), daughter of William Roby Pilkington and Elizabeth Lee Watson of Roby Hall, Liverpool. They had three children: George Bernard (12 September 1881), Malcolm Henry (born 21 October 1882) and Edith Muriel (born 1884). Both George and Edith Muriel died in their teens. After the death of his wife in 1884, he remarried in 1886 to Jane Jarvie Thorburn (1862-1953). They had two children: Helen Mary (born 6 October 1888) and Kenneth William (born 21 March 1897).
- My Sporting Holidays 1904
- Chapter in Early American Big Game Hunting 1905
- Seton-Karr, Sir Henry. Who Was Who. 1920–2014 (April 2014 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- Debretts Guide to the House of Commons 1886
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1885–1918 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 177. ISBN 0-900178-27-2.
- Craig, op. cit., page 531
- The London Gazette: . 24 November 1896. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- The London Gazette: . 31 October 1902. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- Find a Grave
- Works written by or about Henry Seton-Karr at Wikisource
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Henry Seton-Karr
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for St Helens
1885 – 1906
|This article about a Conservative Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom born in the 1850s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|