Henry V (2012 film)
Hiddleston played the role of Henry V
|Based on||Henry V
by William Shakespeare
|Directed by||Thea Sharrock|
|Theme music composer||Adrian Johnston|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Production company(s)||Neal Street Productions
|Original channel||BBC Two|
|Preceded by||Henry IV, Part II|
|Followed by||Henry VI, Part I|
Henry V is a 2012 British television film based on the play of the same name by William Shakespeare. It is the fourth film in the series of television films called The Hollow Crown produced by Sam Mendes for BBC Two covering the whole of Shakespeare's Henriad. It was directed by Thea Sharrock and stars Tom Hiddleston as Henry V of England.
The movie starts with the funeral of Henry V (which is the start of Henry VI, part 1) over whose obsequies the opening speech from the Chorus is made.
Certain scenes from Shakespeare's play are omitted:
- The Southampton Plot and Henry’s merciless response.
- The scenes among the ordinary men at the Siege of Harfleur, featuring Fluellen, MacMorris and Jamy.
- The conversations in the French camp on the evening before the battle.
- The slaughter of the young boys guarding the English baggage train at Agincourt.
- Tom Hiddleston as Henry V
- Julie Walters as Mistress Quickly
- John Hurt as the Chorus/Falstaff's boy as a man
- Geraldine Chaplin as Alice
- Paul Freeman as Thomas Erpingham
- Tom Georgeson as Bardolph
- Richard Griffiths as Duke of Burgundy
- Paterson Joseph as Duke of York
- James Laurenson as Earl of Westmoreland
- Anton Lesser as Exeter
- Paul Ritter as Ancient Pistol
- Malcolm Sinclair as Archbishop of Canterbury
- Owen Teale as Captain Fluellen
- Mélanie Thierry as Princess Katherine
- Lambert Wilson as Charles, King of France
- Edward Akrout as Louis, the Dauphin
- Tom Brooke as Corporal Nym
- Jeremie Covillaut as Montjoy
- Maxime Lefrançois as The Constable of France
- Stanley Weber as Duke of Orleans
- Gwilym Lee as Williams
- Richard Clothier as Earl of Salisbury
- Nigel Cooke as Bishop of Ely
- John Dagleish as Peto
- George Sargeant as Falstaff’s boy
- Simon Russell Beale as Falstaff (cameo)
- "Cast confirmed for BBC Two's cycle of Shakespeare films" (Press release). BBC Drama Publicity. 2011-11-24. Archived from the original on 2011-12-30. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
- Kent Film Office. "Kent Film Office Hollow Crown Henry V article".