Hero (1983 film)
|Directed by||Subhash Ghai|
|Produced by||Subhash Ghai|
|Written by||Mukta Ghai|
|Edited by||Waman Bhonsle|
|Distributed by||Mukta Arts Ltd.|
|Box office||₹17cr. |
Hero is a 1983 Indian Hindi romantic action film directed by Subhash Ghai. Jackie Shroff, also known as "Jackie" played the lead role, and achieved stardom through this film. Actress Meenakshi Sheshadri, who had been crowned Miss India in 1981 and played the lead female role gained popularity through this movie.
The story starts off with Pasha (Amrish Puri) being taken to prison. To get out of the situation, he writes to his best man, Jackie (Jackie Shroff). Jackie goes to Shrikanth Mathur (Shammi Kapoor) and warns him. He then kidnaps Shrikanth's daughter Radha (Meenakshi Sheshadri). He tells her that he is a police officer and they fall in love; however, she finds out that he is a goon. Nevertheless, she does not leave him but urges him to surrender. Transformed by true love, Jackie surrenders himself to the police and is imprisoned for two years.
Back home, Radha tells her brother Daamodar (Sanjeev Kumar) the whole truth. To keep Radha from getting married to somebody else, he calls his friend Jimmy (Shakti Kapoor) to put on a show that Radha and Jimmy love each other. Jimmy misunderstands the situation and falls in love with Radha. When Jackie comes back, he starts working in a garage and tries to reform himself. Despite everything, Shrikanth kicks him out of his life. After many days and events that follow, Daamodar finds out that Jimmy is a drug smuggler. After getting released from prison, Pasha desires revenge against both Shrikanth and Jackie, so he kidnaps Radha, Shrikanth and Daamodar. Jackie comes at the last moment and frees all of them. In the end, Shrikanth lets Radha marry Jackie.
- Jackie Shroff as Jackie Dada / Jaikishan
- Meenakshi Sheshadri as Radha Mathur
- Sanjeev Kumar as Damodar Mathur
- Shammi Kapoor as Police Commissioner Shrikanth Mathur
- Amrish Puri as Pasha
- Madan Puri as Bharat
- Bindu as Jamuna (Radha's widowed aunt)
- Bharat Bhushan as Ramu
- Shakti Kapoor as Jimmy Thapa
- Urmila Bhatt as Sandhya Mathur
- Shaikh Azad as Shaikh Faruk
The film was declared an "All time blockbuster" at the Indian Box Office, with Jackie Shroff and Meenakshi Sheshadri becoming huge stars after its release. Hero ran for 750 days in many cities in India. Both actors became in demand after Hero's release and thus began a long association with Subhash Ghai. The younger audiences enjoyed the performances, and critics applauded Ghai for using fresh faces at a time when Amitabh Bachchan was the dominant star in Bollywood. The Yamaha Rajdoot 350 bike was heavily promoted in this movie.
Awards and nominations
Anuradha Paudwal was nominated best playback singer for "Tu Mera Janu Hai".
|1||"Ding Dong"||Anuradha Paudwal, Manhar Udhas||08:27|
|2||"Mahobbat Ye Mahobbat"||Suresh Wadkar, Lata Mangeshkar||06:45|
|4||"Nindya Se Jaagi Bahaar"||Lata Mangeshkar||06:18|
|5||"Pyar Karne Wale Kabhi Darte Nahi"||Lata Mangeshkar, Manhar Udhas||05:55|
|6||"Tu Mera Hero Hai"||Anuradha Paudwal, Manhar Udhas||08:03|
|1986||Vikram||Telugu||Akkineni Nagarjuna, Sobhana||V. Madhusudhan Rao|
|1988||Ranadheera||Kannada||V. Ravichandran, Kushboo, Ananth Nag||V. Ravichandran|
|2015||Hero||Hindi||Sooraj Pancholi, Athiya Shetty,||Nikhil Advani|
- "Box office 1983". Boxofficeindia.com. Archived from the original on 1 February 2009. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Hero Was an Important Film for Me: Subhash Ghai". News18. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "Jackie Shroff and Subhash Ghai watch 'Hero' together as the film turns 34". WION. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "Hero: Revisiting Subhash Ghai's flamboyant take on romance". Rediff. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- ""'Hero' made Jackie and Meenakshi into overnight stars but 'the flute' was the real hero in the film" - Subhash Ghai". Mukta Arts. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- Thombare, Suparna. "5 memorable roles of Meenakshi Seshadri – Birthday special". Cinestaan. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "Nikhil Advani begins shooting for remake of 1983 Film Hero". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Nikhil Advani begins shooting for 'Hero'". ibnlive.in.com. 16 February 2014. Retrieved 18 February 2014.