Hewlett (LIRR station)
The 2009 Hewlett Station, across the tracks and the grade crossing from the long-standing former station.
Hewlett, New York
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections||Nassau Inter-County Express: n1, n31, n32|
|Bicycle facilities||Yes; Bike Rack(at old station house)|
|Opened||July 29, 1869 (SSRRLI)|
|Electrified||December 11, 1905
750 V (DC) third rail
|Previous names||Cedar Grove (July–October 1869)
Hewletts (1869 – ?)
Hewlett is a station on the Long Island Rail Road's Far Rockaway Branch in Hewlett, in Nassau County, New York, United States. The station is located at Franklin Avenue between Broadway and West Broadway, and is 19.5 miles (31.4 km) from Penn Station in Midtown Manhattan.
Hewlett Station was originally built by the South Side Railroad of Long Island as Cedar Grove station in July 1869. This name would only last until October, when it was changed to Hewletts station. In 1870, the station was replaced with a new building, that has remained intact ever since, making it the oldest railroad station on Long Island, and the only existing building constructed by an LIRR predecessor. High-level sheltered platforms were added across Franklin Avenue during the late-1990s, and a new station house was built diagonally across the grade crossing from the original one between November 25, 2002 and July 28, 2003. After the LIRR built the new Hewlett Station, the oldest active station became the 1873-built Saint James on the Port Jefferson Branch in Suffolk County. Today the former SSRLI Depot is owned by the Long Island Rail Road, but leased to a local taxi company.
Platform and track configuration
This station has two high-level side platforms. The east platform (adjacent to Track 1) is 10 cars long and the west platform (adjacent to Track 2) is eight cars long.
|Platform A, doors will open on the right|
|Track 1||← Far Rockaway Branch toward Atlantic or Penn Station (Gibson)|
|Track 2||Far Rockaway Branch toward Far Rockaway (Woodmere) →|
|Platform B, doors will open on the right|
- Vincent F. Seyfried, The Long Island Rail Road: A Comprehensive History, Part One: South Side R.R. of L.I., © 1961
- Average weekday, 2006 LIRR Origin and Destination Study
- DanTD (April 29, 2009). File:Old Hewlett Station - Interior.jpg (photograph). Retrieved February 8, 2013.
Media related to Hewlett (LIRR station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Official LIRR station information page for Hewlett
- Station timetable for Hewlett
- Old Hewlett Station (Arrt's Arrchives)
- Unofficial LIRR History Website
- Hewlett Station (Great Railroad Stations -- TrainWeb)
- Station from Franklin Avenue from Google Maps Street View
- Platforms from Google Maps Street View