Higher and Higher (The Moody Blues song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Higher and Higher"|
|Song by The Moody Blues|
|from the album To Our Children's Children's Children|
|Released||21 November 1969|
|To Our Children's Children's Children track listing|
The verses of the song are spoken by Mike Pinder, rather than sung. Sound effects of a rocket launching begin the song and last for the first minute.
"Higher and Higher" was also the Moody Blues' first full length song that was written by the band's drummer Graeme Edge. Edge was usually the writer of short spoken-word interludes that appeared at the beginning and end of previous albums. In the recordings, they were usually recited by Mike Pinder.
The Moody Blues continue to perform "Higher and Higher" live in concert. Graeme Edge now provides the lead spoken verses in concert since Mike Pinder is no longer with the band. Since this requires Edge to take center stage to recite the verse, the drums are performed by their back-up drummer Gordon Marshall. At the end of the verses, Edge then returns to the drum set and concludes the song on the drums.
- Mike Pinder: vocals, Mellotron, EMS VCS 3
- Justin Hayward: acoustic and electric guitars, backing vocals
- John Lodge: bass guitar, backing vocals
- Ray Thomas: tambourine, backing vocals
- Graeme Edge: drums, percussion
- "HSA Space Exploration and Aviation Auction Catalog #6000". Heritage Capital Corporation. 1 February 2008. Retrieved 13 January 2018 – via Google Books.
- on YouTube