Highland High School (Palmdale, California)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Highland High School|
|39055 25th Street West
Palmdale, California 93551
|Type||Public High School|
|Teaching staff||126.59 (on a FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||23.95|
|Color(s)||Cardinal and Gold|
Highland High School is located in Palmdale, California and is part of the Antelope Valley Union High School District. About 4,000 students attend Highland High School in grades 9 through 12. It received a California Distinguished School award in 2005.
Highland High School was founded in 1989 in response to Palmdale's rapid population growth. Palmdale High School was not large enough to serve the children of the new families moving into the Antelope Valley. Highland High School is now the largest high school under the Antelope Valley Union High School District. The school has seen a rapid increase in the number of students each year as the area around Highland becomes more developed. The school also attracts students outside of its own district as one of the two schools in the area (the other being Quartz Hill High School) to offer the International Baccalaureate program.
The Highland HS principal announced on January 23, 2013 that the IB program would be phased out at Highland HS. Future students would be able to take two years of pre-IB at Highland but would have to transfer to Quartz Hill HS to complete their diploma. Quartz Hill HS is an impacted high school and transfer students would have to go through open enrollment.
The demographic breakdown of the 3,032 students enrolled in 2013-14 was:
- Male - 51.1%
- Female - 48.9%
- Native American/Alaskan - 1.1%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 5.9%
- Black - 16.0%
- Hispanic - 55.1%
- White - 19.1%
- Multiracial - 2.8%
53.9% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
- Kurt Caselli, Pro MTX racer Hare & Hound FMF/KTM Off-Road Racing Team
- Marcus Demps, NFL football player, Detroit Lions
- Will Demps, NFL football player for the New York Giants
- Sean Franklin, MLS Soccer player for D.C. United.
- Shauna Gambill, Miss Teen USA 1994; Miss California USA 1998; first runner-up, Miss USA 1998
- Jason Kubel, National League baseball player for the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Ryan Millar, Olympian and professional indoor volleyball player.
- DeShawn Shead, Seattle Seahawks 2012–Present, Super Bowl XLVIII Champion
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Highland High". ed.gov. Retrieved 3 May 2016.