|• Mayor||Erhard Wolf|
|• Total||15.4 km2 (5.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||510 m (1,670 ft)|
|• Density||17/km2 (44/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
This rural municipality lies in the middle of low-mountain country in the Hunsrück, at the foot of the Idarkopf. Hochscheid belongs to the Verbandsgemeinde of Bernkastel-Kues, whose seat is in the like-named town.
Neighbouring municipalities within a five-kilometre radius are Horbruch (1.19 km away as the crow flies), Wahlenau (3.02 km), Hirschfeld (3.02 km), Kleinich (3.03 km) and Krummenau (3.58 km). The nearest middle centre is Bernkastel-Kues.
Sirona’s most important sanctum stands in Hochscheid, where the inscription “DEO APOLLINI ET SANCTE SIRONE” can also be found, in which “Apollini” refers to the Celtic god Grannus, who through the Interpretatio Romana was identified with Apollo. Since Apollo and Diana were held to be godly siblings, this kinship is here transferred to Sirona and Apollo Grannus.
Hochscheid belonged to the “Hinder” County of Sponheim. The first known chapel was already standing here by 1529. It was probably consecrated to Saint Giles. By 1743 this chapel had been destroyed, possibly in the Thirty Years' War. In 1752 the chapel was built anew, but by 1790, only the tower was still standing. Later, a “winter school” (Winterschule – a kind of agricultural school that grew up in response to the Industrial Revolution) was built onto the tower. Hanging in the chapel was a bell from 1629 with the inscription “Johann Burchart Trarbach Pfarher zu Clenich. Johann Schüßler Kirchenmeister. Anno MDCXXIX” (“Johann Burchart Trarbach clergyman at Cleinich. Johann Schüßler church father. In the year 1629”).
Coat of arms
The municipality’s arms might be described thus: Vert in base water argent with ripples of the field, dexter a lyre of the second, leaning against which a laurel twig bendwise slipped in base Or.
Economy and infrastructure
Public transport in Hochscheid is integrated into the Verkehrsverbund Region Trier (VRT), whose fares therefore apply.
- "Alle politisch selbständigen Gemeinden mit ausgewählten Merkmalen am 31.12.2018 (4. Quartal)". DESTATIS. Archived from the original on 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Bevölkerungsstand 2017 - Gemeindeebene". Statistisches Landesamt Rheinland-Pfalz (in German). 2018.
- Encyclopaedia Perthensis; or Universal dictionary of the arts, sciences, literature, &c. intended to supersede the use of other books of reference (v. 11). John Brown, 1816
- Pfarrer Martin Sinemus: Die Geschichte des Kirchspiel Cleinich., Selbstverlag des Verfassers, 1925
- Kommunalwahl Rheinland-Pfalz 2009, Gemeinderat
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hochscheid.|