Hospital of Maudes
|Hospital of Maudes|
Hospital de Maudes
|Location||Ríos Rosas, Madrid, Spain|
|Address||Calle de Raimundo Fernández Villaverde, 18|
|Inaugurated||23 June 1916|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Antonio Palacios, Joaquín Otamendi|
|Official name||Hospital de Jornaleros|
The Hospital of Maudes (Spanish: Hospital de Maudes) is a former hospital located in Madrid, Spain. It is a complex of buildings including a church. The buildings are linked apart from accommodation for infectious diseases.
The building is faced in white limestone. The eclectic architecture presents some similarities to the Cybele Palace, which was designed by the same partnership. For example, both buildings present a skyline dominated by towers. In the case of the Hospital de Maudes, the towers of the church are particularly prominent, but there are towers elsewhere in the complex.
The church has an entrance directly onto the street, but otherwise the complex is surrounded by a wall. There are some garden areas which were intended to aid the recuperation of patients. The design of the courtyards is possibly influenced by the Hostal dos Reis Católicos, a building with which Palacios, who was born in Galicia, would have been familiar.
Maudes was the name of the locality in which the hospital is situated. It was also known as the hospital of the jornaleros, day labourers, being intended for the use of the poorer classes of Madrid. It was inaugurated on 23 June 1916.
The centenary of the building was celebrated in 2016 with guided visits and concerts.
- Immediate precedent of the figure of Bien de Interés Cultural.
- Hospital de Jornaleros antoniopalacions.es. 2016
- Iglesias Veiga, Xose (1994). "Contenidos regionalistas en la arquitectura de Antonio Palacios en Galicia". Espacio, Tiempo y Forma. VII.
- "Hospital de jornaleros 1916 - 1934" (PDF). Community of Madrid.
- Ministerio de Cultura: "Real Decreto 2122/1979, de 6 de julio, por el que se declara monumento histórico-artístico, de carácter nacional, el Hospital de Jornaleros, en Madrid" (PDF). Boletín Oficial del Estado (218): 21062. 8 September 1979. ISSN 0212-033X.
- Fraguas, Rafael (May 2016). "El hospital de Maudes cumple 100 años". El País. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hospital de Jornaleros de Maudes.|
|This article about a Spanish building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|