|Born||September 30, 1927|
Tehran, Persia (now Iran)
|Died||October 15, 2019 (aged 92)|
|Occupation(s)||Professor of composition, conductor|
Hossein Dehlavi was born in 1927 in Tehran, Iran and started music with his father Moezeddin Emami who was a pupil of master Ali-Akbar Shahnazi. Dehlavi studied composition at the Tehran Conservatory of Music with Hossein Nassehi and Heimo Tauber. He studied Persian music with Abolhasan Saba and, from 1957 to 1967, was the principal conductor of the Persian Fine Arts Administration Orchestra, also known as Saba Orchestra.
Dehlavi started to teach at the Persian National Music Conservatory in Tehran since 1957 and from 1961 until 1950 was the director of this conservatory. The conductor Ali Rahbari was one of his pupils. In 1992, with the cooperation of nearly 70 players of Persian instruments, Dehlavi established the Plectrum Orchestra in Tehran.
His works included several pieces for Persian instruments and orchestra, voice and orchestra, choir and orchestra, and two operas and a ballet. As his contribution to the Year of the Child (1979), he wrote an opera for children called Mana and Mani.
- Duo for Santur, 1953
- Plectrum Quartet (Chahar-Navazi-e Mezrabi), 1964
- Sabolkbal (Breezy), 1953
- Shushtari, for violin and orchestra, based on a piece by Abolhassan Saba, 1958.
- Concertino for Santur & Orchestra (with Faramarz Payvar), 1958
- Forugh-e Eshgh (Blaze of Love) - 1963
- Sarbaz (Soldier) with choir, 1966.
- Khosrow and Shirin (based on a romance by the 12th-century Persian poet Nizami Ganjavi, 1970.
- Mana and Mani (for children), 1979.
- Bijan & Manijeh ballet (inspired from the National epic of Persia Shahnameh by Ferdowsi) - premiered at Tehran's Rudaki Hall in 1975
- "زندگینامه: حسین دهلوی (1306-)". Archived from the original on 2011-07-26. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- "زندگینامه: حسین دهلوی (۱۳۰۶- ۱۳۹۸)". همشهری آنلاین (in Persian). 2008-07-02. Retrieved 2019-10-16.
- ""Sabokbal" composer Hossein Dehlavi passes away at 92". Tehran Times. 2019-10-15. Retrieved 2019-10-16.
- "حسین دهلوی و همسری که عشق به او هدیه داد/ مادرم را ستایش میکنم". خبرگزاری مهر | اخبار ایران و جهان | Mehr News Agency (in Persian). 2015-04-16. Retrieved 2021-09-21.