|Born||January 30, 1927|
|Died||January 7, 2016 (aged 88)|
|Occupation(s)||Professor of composition, Composer|
|Associated acts||Tehran Symphony Orchestra|
Houshang Ostovar was born in Tehran 1927. Inspired by his father Hossein Ostovar (1896–1986) who was one of the first Persian-style pianists.
He studied basic composition with Parviz Mahmoud and finished his music studies at the Royal Conservatory of Brussels with first rank, also spend 2 years in Geneva conservatory to learn more about Piano and Clarinet 
Came back to Iran 1957, for many years Ostovar was a professor at the Tehran Conservatory of Music. Mostly performed by he Tehran Symphony Orchestra his works inspired from Persian folk and classical music in a modern form. He is also known as a developer of different genres of western music such as Jazz in Iran.
A few years after the 1979 Revolution Ostovar moved to France. In 2001 he returned to Tehran and continued his activities as a professor of composition. He has thought many notable musicians like Ali Tajvidi  and Mahyar Dean from Angband.
The only released work of Ostovar is Suite Iranienne (Persian Suite) which was performed in 1980 by Nuremberg Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Ali Rahbari in the LP Symphonische Dichtungen aus Persien (Symphonic Poems from Persia).
- "هوشنگ استوار، موسیقیدان پیشرو ایرانی در بیخبری درگذشت". رادیو زمانه. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "هوشنگ استوار و بابا کَرَم در سوئیت ایرانی". BBC Persian. Retrieved May 8, 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-04-07. Retrieved 2010-07-14. (Persian)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-10-18. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-12-29. Retrieved 2010-06-30.