Location of Hughes in St. Francis County, Arkansas.
|• Total||2.28 sq mi (5.92 km2)|
|• Land||2.26 sq mi (5.86 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.06 km2)|
|Elevation||207 ft (63 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||563.41/sq mi (217.52/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0083178|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.7 km2), of which 2.2 square miles (5.7 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.92%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,867 people, 682 households, and 493 families residing in the city. The population density was 869.8 people per square mile (335.3/km²). There were 762 housing units at an average density of 355.0/sq mi (136.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 29.41% White, 67.76% Black or African American, 0.11% Native American, 1.61% Asian, 0.11% Pacific Islander, 0.43% from other races, and 0.59% from two or more races. 0.70% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 682 households out of which 37.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.1% were married couples living together, 29.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.6% were non-families. 25.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.74 and the average family size was 3.31.
In the city, the population was spread out with 33.7% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 25.5% from 25 to 44, 19.4% from 45 to 64, and 12.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females, there were 83.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 73.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $18,333, and the median income for a family was $22,976. Males had a median income of $25,417 versus $16,641 for females. The per capita income for the city was $10,039. About 31.7% of families and 38.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 53.3% of those under age 18 and 31.5% of those age 65 or over.
The community is served by the West Memphis School District, which operates Academies of West Memphis (formerly West Memphis High School). It was formerly served by the Hughes School District, which operated Mildred Jackson Elementary School and Hughes High School. In 2015 the Arkansas Board of Education voted to consolidate the Hughes district into the West Memphis district because of a decline in enrollment in the Hughes district.
- Mark R. Martin, current Secretary of State of Arkansas, was reared in Hughes and graduated from Hughes High School in 1986.
- Sonny Rodgers (December 4, 1939 – May 7, 1990) was an American electric blues guitarist, singer and songwriter, who was born near to Hughes.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hughes, Arkansas.|
- "2017 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 22, 2018.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved March 24, 2018.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Hughes Arkansas Schools ordered to merge with West Memphis School District". WREG. 2015-04-10. Retrieved 2018-05-14.
- Bob L. Eagle; Eric S. LeBlanc (1 May 2013). Blues: A Regional Experience. ABC-CLIO. p. 164. ISBN 978-0-313-34424-4.