St Nicholas' parish church
Hurst shown within Berkshire
|Population||2,008 (2001 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||St Nicholas Hurst|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|Website||Hurst Parish Council|
The parish of St Nicholas Hurst is situated at grid reference , about 4 miles (6.4 km) north of Wokingham and 2 miles (3 km) south of Twyford in the county of Berkshire. It covers about 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2) and as such is the largest civil parish in the Borough of Wokingham.
The village is on the A321 Twyford – Wokingham road. There are a number of other smaller areas of sporadic development, the main ones being along Davis Street on the B3030 Twyford – Winnersh road, along the B3034 Forest Road, from Bill Hill to Binfield and on Broadcommon Road.
The River Loddon flows north along the western side of the parish and a substantial proportion of the parish lies within the alluvial flood plain of this river and its tributaries. The most important exceptions to this are Church Hill just to the west of the village centre, and Ashridge to the south-east.
St Nicholas Hurst is a civil parish with an elected parish council. It falls within the area of the unitary authority of Wokingham Borough. Both the parish council and the unitary authority are responsible for different aspects of local government.
There are two big shows each year in Hurst. There is the annual Horse Show and Country Fayre which usually takes place over the last weekend of June, and the Hurst Horticultural Show which takes place in August. The 99th Horticultural Show takes place on 18 August 2012. There are several active sports clubs, including cricket, football, tennis and fishing with one of the most popular fishing venues being Redlands run by Southlake Angling Society. Thespians are also catered for with the biennial pantomime. The village hall is the venue for a number of cultural events and is the home of the Pre-School Playgroup. The Stanlake Park Wine Estate is in the north of the parish.
The school was first built in 1843.
The primary school shares a breakfast club with St. Nicholas Pre-School Playgroup, a registered charity and member of the Pre-School Learning Alliance, which is open to all students and children of the playgroup.
- "The Parish Council - St Nicholas Hurst Parish Council". Hurstpc.org.uk. 2012-01-09. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- Duncan Kendall (2012-05-23). "29th and 30th June 2013". GB: Hurst Horse Show. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "Hurst Horticultural Show". Hurst Horticultural Show. 2012-08-27. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "Hurst Football Club". Hurst FC. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "Southlake Angling Society «". Southlakeas.co.uk. 2011-06-29. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "Hurst Pantomime Group". Hurstpanto.org.uk. 2011-01-13. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- Duncan Kendall. "Available for Hire - 0118 934 0844". Hurst Village Halls. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "St Nicholas CE Primary School, Hurst". St-nicholas.wokingham.sch.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
-  Archived 11 May 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- MLSMedia. "An Independent IAPS Co-Educational Preparatory Day School and Nursery". Dolphinschool.com. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hurst, Berkshire.|