IRI Achievement Award
The IRI Achievement Award, established by the Industrial Research Institute (IRI) in 1973, is awarded "to honor outstanding accomplishment in individual creativity and innovation that contributes broadly to the development of industry and to the benefit of society." The recipient is first nominated by an IRI member organization for his or her invention, innovation, or process improvement, and then voted on by a nine-member Awards Committee, led by the immediate past-chairman of IRI's Board of Directors.
The IRI Achievement Award is a bronze sculpture exemplifying the flight of innovation. The artist who designed the sculpture is John Blair. This award is presented each spring during IRI's Annual Meeting and is one of the highest honors awarded by the organization.
List of Recipients
- IRI Achievement Award Page, accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- IRI Constitution and Bylaws, accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- "GE Diamond Pioneer Robert Wentorf Dies", PRNewswire, April 7, 1997, accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- "2009 Honoree, Herbert W. Boyer, for Scientific Research" Archived 2010-06-26 at the Wayback Machine, Double Helix Medals, 2009, accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Center for Oral History. "Allan S. Hay". Science History Institute.
- Fine, Leonard W.; Wise, George (24 July 1986). Allan S. Hay, Transcript of an Interview Conducted by Leonard W. Fine and George Wise at Schenectady, New York on 24 July 1986 (PDF). Philadelphia, PA: Chemical Heritage Foundation.
- Center for Oral History. "John E. Franz". Science History Institute.
- Bohning, James J. (29 November 1994). John E. Franz, Transcript of an Interview Conducted by James J. Bohning at St. Louis, Missouri on 29 November 1994 (PDF). Philadelphia, PA: Chemical Heritage Foundation.
- "Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs Luminary Alfred Y. Cho Awarded US National Medal of Technology", PRNewswire, June 14, 2005, accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- "Computer History Museum: People", entry: Dennard, Robert H., accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- "Keynote Address: The Cost of a Bit, and Other Annoying Problems," Speaker Bio Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine, accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- "American Cyanamid Inventor Honored for Herbicide Discovery", PRNewswire, Sept. 3, 1999, accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- Speaker Bio: Dr. Andrezj M. Pawlak, accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- Simon F. Campbell, BusinessWeek Bio, accessed Feb. 9, 2012
- "James E. West Receives IRI's 1998 Achievement Award", Newswise, Oct. 27, 1998, accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- "Inventor of the Week: Archive", Lemelson – MIT School of Engineering, September 2004, accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Bateman, C. Donald. "An Engineer Looks at Innovation", Research-Technology Management, Vol. 44, No. 4 (July–August 2001).
- Beall, George H. "Exploratory research remains essential for industry; the development of landmark new products is almost always dependent on knowledge gleaned from previous exploratory research. (IRI Achievement Award Address)", Research-Technology Management, Vol. 45, No. 6 (November–December 2002).
- Innovative Catalytic Solutions, Ilc.: Awards and Honors, accessed Feb. 9, 2012.
- "Industrial Research Institute Achievement Award," Research-Technology Management, Vol. 48, No. 4 (July–August 2005).
- "Dennis Ritchie, Bell Labs Researcher and Co-Inventor of Unix, Receives 2005 Industrial Research Institute Achievement Award" Archived 2014-02-04 at the Wayback Machine, Alcatel/Lucent Press Release, Nov. 15, 2005, accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- Trokhan, Paul D. "An Inventor's Personal Principles of Innovation: the author outlines fundamental principles that have guided his R&D career and urges readers to develop their own", Research-Technology Management, Vol. 50, No. 4 (July–August 2007).
- "Agrawal Given IRI Achievement Award" Purdue University's School of Chemical Engineering, Nov. 6, 2007, accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- "Dean Kamen Honored with IRI 2008 Achievement Award" Archived 2013-09-25 at the Wayback Machine, Industrial Research Institute Press Release, accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- "Ceramatec's President to Receive 2009 IRI Achievement Award" Archived 2012-01-13 at the Wayback Machine Ceramatec News, Jan. 20, 2009, accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- "IRI Names New Chairman, Honors Aeronautical Innovator" Archived 2010-05-11 at the Wayback Machine, R&D Magazine, May 7, 2010, accessed Feb. 8, 2012.
- "DuPont Sweeps IRI's 2011 Industry Awards", R&D Magazine, May 27, 2011, accessed Feb. 8, 2012.