I Love You Too (2010 film)
|I Love You Too|
|Directed by||Daina Reid|
|Written by||Peter Helliar|
|Music by||David Hirschfelder|
|Distributed by||Roadshow Films|
|Box office||$2.1 million|
I Love You Too is a 2010 Australian romantic comedy film, and the directorial film debut of Daina Reid. The screenplay was written by first-time writer Peter Helliar. It stars Brendan Cowell, Peter Dinklage, Yvonne Strahovski, Peter Helliar and Megan Gale, and was produced by Princess Pictures on a budget of A$6 million. Principal photography began on 4 May 2009 and took place in Melbourne.
Jim (Brendan Cowell) is a thirty-three-year-old, emotionally stunted man who works at a miniature railway, and refuses to grow up. He lives in the granny flat at the back of his sister's house. Jim's pregnant sister Marie (Bridie Carter) struggles with her oafish brute of a husband, Owen (Travis McMahon).
Jim is unable to make a commitment to his English girlfriend of three years, Alice (Yvonne Strahovski), who is very disappointed that Jim can't tell her that he loves her. Hoping to drive her boyfriend into saying those magical words, she considers taking a job in England, but to no avail.
After a drunken night on the town with his mate Blake (writer Peter Helliar), Jim unsuccessfully attempts to steal a car, owned by the vertically challenged Charlie (Peter Dinklage). Discovering an undelivered love letter Charlie wrote to Francesca, Jim cajoles Charlie into helping him mend his relationship with Alice. Jim's first attempt at a love letter fails as he is unable to express the words so he copies Charlie's original letter and gives it to Alice. Alice knows that the words aren't Jim's and is not impressed. Jim returns to Charlie's place and Charlie realizes Jim copied his letter. Charlie tells Jim the words have to come from him so over a long afternoon and bottles of shiraz, Jim manages to write many rough drafts but he screws up all his work and gives up.
Although Jim failed with Alice, he makes a commitment to Charlie to deliver his 3-year-old love letter. Charlie reveals that Francesca is supermodel Francesca Moretti (Megan Gale) with whom he is obsessed. Luckily Moretti is in town on a promotional tour and Jim takes Charlie to her book signing. Charlie gets cold feet and leaves but Jim hand-delivers the letter.
Meanwhile, Charlie visits Alice and gives her a shoebox of Jim's writings, telling her, His handwriting's terrible, he writes like a doctor who lost both hands in the war. The words are coming; they're not quite there yet, but they're close.
Later that evening Francesca reads Charlie's letter then invites him for a drink at her hotel. The two enjoy a pleasant evening together.
Blake uses his influence to stall Alice's taxi ride to the airport to allow Jim to express his true feeling and to propose to her.
- Brendan Cowell as Jim
- Peter Dinklage as Charlie
- Yvonne Strahovski as Alice
- Peter Helliar as Blake
- Megan Gale as Francesca
- Travis McMahon as Owen
- Bridie Carter as Marie
- Steve Bisley as Jim's boss
There are also cameo appearances from some prominent Australians, including the actors Rose Byrne and Angus Sampson and comedians Hamish Blake and Dave Lawson. Former Strange Idols and Rattling Sabres vocalist, Robert Price, makes a brief appearance as a police man.
- Dimako, Peter (5 May 2009). "Yvonne Strahovski, Peter Dinklage and Brendan Cowell for "I Love You Too"". Movie Jungle/Variety. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Griffiths, Trent (5 May 2009). "We Heart Helliar". Film Ink. Archived from the original on 8 October 2009. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- Tyler, Josh (29 April 2009). "Chuck's Sarah Walker Gets A Rom-Com". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Sourris, Marie-Christine (10 April 2010). "It's true bromance for Brendan Cowell and Peter Helliar". The Sunday Mail. Brisbane. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Maclachlan, Philippa (30 April 2009). "New romantic-comedy begins shoot". Inside Film. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Filmed at the Diamond Valley Railway
- "I Love You Too (2009)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2010-05-13.