If We Were a Movie
|"If We Were a Movie"|
|Single by Hannah Montana|
|from the album Hannah Montana|
|A-side||"The Best of Both Worlds"|
|Released||March 28, 2006|
|Hannah Montana singles chronology|
"If We Were a Movie" is a pop song by American recording artist and actress Miley Cyrus. She performed the song as Hannah Montana – the alter ego of Miley Stewart, a character she plays on the Disney Channel television series Hannah Montana. "If We Were a Movie" was written by Jeannie Lurie and Holly Mathis, and was produced by Antonina Armato and Tim James. The song was released to Radio Disney as promotion for the series and its first soundtrack, Hannah Montana. The song has teen pop influences.
In the United States, the song peaked at number forty-seven on the Billboard Hot 100 and within the top forty on the Pop 100. Its appearance on the Billboard Hot 100 made Cyrus the first act to have six songs debut on the chart in the same week. A music video for "If We Were a Movie" was taken from footage of a Hannah Montana Radio Disney concert performance.
Background and composition
Written by Jennie Lurie and Holly Mathis, and produced by Antonina Armato and Tim James, "If We Were a Movie" is a teen pop song that lasts three minutes and three seconds. Heather Phares of Allmusic considered "If We Were a Movie" a "clever" and "catchy" song, with a "sharper-than-average songwriting". It was released as a b-side to "The Best of Both Worlds" in foreign countries on February 20, 2007.
A karaoke version appears on Disney's Karaoke Series: Hannah Montana (2007), while a remixed version appears on Hits Remixed (2008). The song first premiered on Radio Disney in order to promote the series and soundtrack. The song was later released as duet with Corbin Bleu on the third Hannah Montana soundtrack.
As it was not released as a single in the United States, "If We Were a Movie" received exclusive airplay on Radio Disney, thus its chart appearances consisted mainly of digital downloads. Following the release of the Hannah Montana soundtrack, the song entered Billboard's Hot Digital Songs Chart at number twenty, which led to an appearance on the Billboard Hot 100 on the week ending November 11, 2006. "If We Were a Movie" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at its peak of forty-seven, thus becoming Cyrus as Montana's highest charting song from the album, and one of the songs to make Cyrus the first act to have six songs debut on the Billboard Hot 100 in the same week. It dropped from the chart in the succeeding week. The song also peaked at number thirty-eight on the now-defunct Pop 100 Chart.
Three different live performances have been prominently used for promotional music videos. Cyrus as Montana debuted the song at Walt Disney World Resort's Typhoon Lagoon on June 23, 2006. The video was aired on Disney Channel, along with performances of "The Best of Both Worlds", "I Got Nerve" and "This is the Life". Another live performance from Radio Disney's 10th Birthday Concert was also used as a music video on Disney Channel. The third live performance was on The Cheetah Girls' The Party's Just Begun Tour and also served as a music video.
Credits and Personnel
- Vocals: Hannah Montana
- Songwriting: Jeannie Lurie, Holly Mathis
- Production: Antonina Armato, Tim James
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||47|
|U.S. Billboard Pop 100||38|
- Hannah Montana. "Hannah Montana: Best of Both Worlds: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2015-01-30.
- "Disney's Karaoke Series: Hannah Montana". Walt Disney Records. The Walt Disney Company. Archived from the original on May 5, 2010. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- "Walmart CD: Hannah Montana Hits Remixed (Wal-Mart Exclusive)". Walmart.com. Wal-Mart. Retrieved May 18, 2010. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Chart Beat". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. November 2, 2006. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- "Music Charts, Music News, Artist Photo Gallery & Free Video". Billboard. Retrieved 2015-01-30.
- "Hannah Montana > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved May 18, 2010.
- "Disney Channel". Disney Channel. Retrieved 2015-01-30.
- "Disney Music". Radio Disney. Retrieved 2015-01-30.