Ilocos United F.C.
|Full name||Ilocos United Football Club|
|League||Philippines Football League|
The Ilocos United Football Club is a Filipino professional football team based in Vigan, Ilocos Sur. The team played in the inaugural season of the Philippines Football League (PFL), the highest level of Philippine club football. As part of the league, the team played its home games at the Quirino Stadium in the nearby town of Bantay.
The club's history traces back to when Filipino-Australian businessman Jarred Kelly arranged two friendly matches between the Philippines national football team against Australian A-League side Perth Glory FC in 2016. The first friendly which was hosted at the Rizal Memorial Stadium was attended by only 500 people but the second friendly at the Quirino Stadium in Bantay, Ilocos Sur was attended by 7,000 people. Kelly deemed that it was viable to successfully promote football in the Ilocos Region.
When the Philippine Football Federation (PFF) invited interested parties to send a club to participate at the inaugural season of the Philippines Football League (PFL) in 2017. Kelly along with Sydney-based English businessman Tony Lazaro formed Ilocos United F.C. and submitted requirements for the clubs participation in the inaugural PFL.
After settling for four draws and 15 defeats, Ilocos United secured their first win in the PFL by winning 2-1 against JPV Marikina at the Biñan Stadium on September 23, 2017. Ilocos finished last among 8 teams for the 2017 season only managing to win once.
After participating in the inaugural PFL season, Ilocos United announced its withdrawal from the league in January 18, 2018 after failing to secure a new naming sponsor. Though it said it was "cautious optimistic" that they will return to the PFL in the 2019 season and for the mean time will focus on grassroots football in Ilocos.
The team's home venue is the Quirino Stadium, which can seat around 5,000 spectators.
|2017||1||8||8th (Regular Season)|
|DNQ (Final Series)|
|Updated as of 16 December 2017|
- Guerrero, Bob (January 12, 2017). "Football: So, how's that national league coming along?". Rappler. Retrieved April 11, 2017.
- Fenix, Ryan (April 20, 2017). "Can top-flight PHL football thrive up north? Ilocos United FC is here to find out". Retrieved April 20, 2017.
- "Ilocos United finally notches first PFL win in beating JPV Marikina". BusinessWorld. 25 September 2017. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "Ilocos United FC becomes second PFL team to withdraw from league". Rappler. 18 January 2018. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- del Carmen, Lorenzo (18 January 2018). "Ilocos United takes leave from PFL". Tiebreaker Times. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "Ian Gillan". Ilocos United F.C. Archived from the original on 26 November 2017. Retrieved 26 November 2017.