Independence Municipal Airport (Kansas)
Independence Municipal Airport
(former Independence AAF)
|Owner||City of Independence|
|Location||Independence Township, Montgomery County|
|Elevation AMSL||825 ft / 251 m|
Independence Municipal Airport (IATA: IDP, ICAO: KIDP, FAA LID: IDP) is six miles southwest of Independence, in Montgomery County, Kansas. The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015 categorized it a general aviation facility.
During World War II the facility was Independence Army Airfield and was used for United States Army Air Forces Second Air Force pilot training. Operations started in 1942 and continued through 1945. It was a storage facility for excess equipment and supplies after the war. The airfield was closed by the Air Force in 1947 and ownership was turned over to the City of Independence for use as a municipal airport. The airport has been annexed by the city, and is one of the city's industrial parks. In 2008 tower operations commenced with the first takeoff clearance given to a newly built Cessna 172R. Industries at the airport include Aviation Controls, Inc., Cessna and Kansas Aviation. The tower has since closed.
In the year ending September 22, 2010 the airport had 10,600 aircraft operations, average 29 per day: 86% general aviation, 13% air taxi, and 1% military. 20 aircraft were then based at the airport: 80% single-engine, 10% multi-engine, and 10% ultralight.
- FAA Airport Master Record for IDP ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective November 15, 2012.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (IDP: Independence)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010. Archived from the original (PDF, 2.03 MB) on September 27, 2012. External link in
- Flying Magazine: 24. Feb 2008. Missing or empty
- Airport page at City of Independence website
- Aerial image as of September 1991 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for IDP, effective October 8, 2020
- Resources for this airport: