India Science Award
|India Science Award|
|Awarded for||Research in science|
|Presented by||Indian Science Congress Association
Ministry of Science and Technology (India)
India Science Award is the highest and the most prestigious national recognition by the Government of India for outstanding contribution to science. The primary and essential criterion for the award is demonstrated and widely accepted excellence in science. The award covers all areas of research in science including engineering, medicine and agriculture. The prize money is Rs 25 lakhs, and it also carries a citation and a gold medal. The award is announced and presented every year at the Indian Science Congress (ISC).
The award was instituted by the 10th Prime Minister of India Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 2003. The first award, for the year 2004, was given to a renowned chemist Prof CNR Rao, for his works in solid state and material chemistry, by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the inauguration of the 93rd Indian Science Congress on 3 January 2006.
India Science Award was launched at the 90th Indian Science Congress on 3 January 2003, held at Bangalore University, by the Prime Minister of India. On 30 June 2003 the Ministry of Science and Technology (India) approved the framework and guidelines of the award. The meeting was attended by 20 eminent scientists, government officials, under the chairmanship of the Minister of Science and Technology.
India Science Award is given annually in recognition of distinguished achievements in science, including medicine, engineering and agriculture. The recipient is a scientist, of no age limit, who had made a groundbreaking scientific research that is widely demonstrated and accepted, and the work done primarily in India. Originality and innovatory outputs are more important than mere quantity. Contribution to scientific development of the country has a huge impression. The award is not given to groups or institutions. If more than one nominee are eligible in a year, a maximum of two can share the prize.
|2004||C.N.R. Rao||Solid state chemistry and materials science|
|2005||to be added||-|
|2006||to be added||-|
|2007||to be added||-|
|2008||to be added||-|
|2009||to be added||-|
|2010||C R Rao||Statistics|
- Ramasami T (2008). "India Science Award - 2009" (PDF). Current Science. 95 (12): 1762–1763.
- "Welcome to Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India ::". Dst.gov.in. 2005-03-02. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- Anon. (2003). "90th Indian Science Congress: Résumé and Recommendation" (PDF). Everyday Science. 38 (4): 1–11.
- Rajeev M (4 January 2006). "Another major honour for C.N.R. Rao". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- United News of India, PTI (3 January 2006). "First India Science Award for Prof CNR Rao". Hindustan Times. HT Media Limited. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Ministry of Human Resource Development and Science and Technology (30 June 2006). "Meeting on modalities for india science award". Press Information Bureau. PIB, Government of India. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- National Network of Education (2010-01-04). "India Science Award for eminent statistician C.R. Rao, Science News - By". Indiaedunews.net. Retrieved 2013-11-26.
- "C.R. Rao bags Indian Science Award". The Hindu. 2010-01-04. Retrieved 2013-11-26.