India Vision 2020
India Vision 2020 was initially a document prepared by the Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC) of India's Department of Science and Technology under the chairmanship of A. P. J. Abdul Kalam and a team of 500 experts. The plan is further detailed in the book India 2020: A Vision for the New Millennium, which Kalam coauthored with Dr. Y. S. Rajan.
Kalam described the plan as follows: "Transforming the nation into a developed country, five areas in combination have been identified based on India's core competence, natural resources and talented manpower for integrated action to double the growth rate of GDP and realize the Vision of Developed India".
Now there is a group or private organization called "Visionaries Organisation In Service to Society (VOISS)" and their page names in social-networking sites as "Let's complete his vision 2020" to promote this vision 2020 after the death of Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam on 27 July 2015
Vision of APJ Abdul Kalam
- Agriculture and food processing: Aimed at doubling the present production of agricultural and food processing.
- Infrastructure with reliable electric power: Providing urban amenities to rural areas, and increasing solar power operations.
- Education and Healthcare: Directed towards literacy, social security, and overall health for the population.
- Information and Communication Technology: For increased e-governance to promote education in remote areas,
[telecommunication]], and telemedicine.
- Critical technologies and strategic industries: The growth of nuclear technology, space technology and defense technology.
- Decrease the rate of poverty and illiteracy, make people educated through media, communities, social net working sites and increase the Indian market rate CURRENCY by purchasing Indian manufactured goods.
The benefits of the plan
- A nation where the rural-urban divide has been reduced to a thin line. All parts of India will become developed.
- A nation where there is an equitable distribution of, and adequate access to, energy and quality water.
- A nation where agriculture, industry and the service sector work together with symphony.
- A nation where education with a good value system is not denied to any meritorious candidates because of societal or economic discrimination.
- A nation which is the best destination for the most talented scholars, scientists, and investors from around the world.
- A nation where the best of healthcare is available to all citizens of India
- A nation where governance is responsive, transparent and corruption-free.
- A nation where poverty has been totally eradicated, illiteracy removed, crime against women and children is absent, and no one in the society feels alienated.
- A nation that is prosperous, healthy, secure, devoid of terrorism, peaceful and happy, and continues on a sustainable growth path.
- A nation that is one of the best places to live in and is proud of its leadership.
- A nation should develop places like an visit pilgrims in India and capable leadership