|Single by Tim McGraw|
|from the album Not a Moment Too Soon|
|Released||January 22, 1994|
|Length||3:01 (Album Version) 4:20 (Dance Mix)|
|Tim McGraw singles chronology|
"Indian Outlaw" is a song written by Tommy Barnes, Jumpin' Gene Simmons and John D. Loudermilk, and performed by American country music artist Tim McGraw. It was released in January 1994 as the first single from his album Not a Moment Too Soon. It was his first Top 40 country hit, and his fourth single overall. It peaked at number 8 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks charts, and number 15 on the Billboard Hot 100.
The song is an up-tempo set in minor key, backed by tom-tom drums and fiddle. The narrator describes himself as a rebellious American Indian character, "Half Cherokee and Choctaw". He describes, among other things, his pursuit of a Chippewa lover.
A dance remix of the single was also made. This remix appears on McGraw's 2010 album Number One Hits. The song was considered controversial at the time, due to its stereotypical portrayal of Native Americans; as a result, some radio stations refused to play it.
Larry Flick of Billboard called it an "incredible single" that is "positively stuffed with lyrical and musical Native American cliches, from tomtoms to wigwams to peace pipes." He went on to say that if the song became a hit, it would "set relations back 200 years." In a review of Not a Moment Too Soon for the same publication, "Indian Outlaw" was again noted as clichéd; the authors deemed it "either one of the catchiest or one of the stupidest songs ever written."
There were two versions of the video released. One was for the original version of the song, and the other was for an extended dance mix. Both were directed by Sherman Halsey, who also directed most of McGraw's subsequent videos and it shows Tim McGraw riding his motorcycle with a female friend.
US Vinyl, 7"
- A Indian Outlaw (Radio Mix) 2:59
- B Don't Take The Girl 4:09
- Indian Outlaw (European Version) 2:59
- Indian Outlaw (American Version) 2:59
- Indian Outlaw (Dance Version) 4:19
End of year charts
- http://www.ihesm.com/Loudermilk2.html Songs written by John D. Loudermilk
- CMT.com : Shows : Controversy : "Indian Outlaw" : About the Episode
- CMT.com : Political Controversies Found Wynette and McGraw
- Gerome, John (April 13, 2007). "Growing Strong - Cyrus' reach encompasses country music, more". San Angelo Standard Times. Archived from the original on April 26, 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- Flick, Larry (February 5, 1994). "Single Reviews". Billboard. BPI Communications. 106 (6): 71. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- Verna, Paul; Gillen, Marilyn A.; Cronin, Peter (April 16, 1994). "Album Reviews". Billboard. BPI Communications. 106 (6): 62. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved May 5, 2015.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 2454." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. April 25, 1994. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "Tim McGraw Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Tim McGraw Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1994". Archived from the original on March 1, 2009. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- "American single certifications – McGraw, Tim – Indian Outlaw". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Best-Selling Records of 1994". Billboard. BPI Communications. 107 (3): 57. January 21, 1995. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved May 5, 2015.