Inter State Council (India)
Inter State Council in December, 2014
|Formation||May 28, 1990|
|Prime Minister Narendra Modi|
The Inter State Council is an Indian constitutional body set up on the basis of provisions in Article 263 of the Constitution of India. The body was formed by a Presidential Order dated 28 May 1990 on recommendation of Sarkaria Commission. The Council is formed to discussing or investigating policies, subjects of common interest, and disputes, among states.
Aims of ISC
1. Decentralization of powers to the states as much as possible. 2. More transfer of financial resources to the states. 3. Arrangements for devolution in such a way that the states can fulfil their obligations. 4. Advancement of loans to states should be related to as ‘the productive principle’. 5. Deployment of central armed forces in the states either on their request or otherwise.
The Inter State Council composes of the following members:
- Prime Minister, Chairman.
- Chief Ministers of states and union territories.
- Administrators of union territories.
- Six members of Cabinet rank.
- STANDING COMMITTEE
- Home minister
- 5 members of Cabinet rank
- 9 members Chief Ministers of state
The Council has met eleven times since its inception.
|Sr No||Date||Prime Minister|
|1||October 10, 1990||V. P. Singh|
|2||October 15, 1996||H. D. Deve Gowda|
|3||July 17, 1997||Inder Kumar Gujral|
|4||November 28, 1997|
|5||January 22, 1999||Atal Bihari Vajpayee|
|6||May 20, 2000|
|7||November 16, 2001|
|8||March 27–28, 2003|
|9||June 28, 2005||Dr. Manmohan Singh|
|10||December 12, 2006|
|11||July 16, 2016||Narendra Modi|
- "Article 263 in The Constitution Of India 1949". indiankanoon.org. Indian Kanoon. 28 May 1990. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- "Genesis of the Inter State Council". interstatecouncil.nic.in/. Inter State Council Secretariat. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Composition of the Inter State Council". interstatecouncil.nic.in/. Inter State Council Secretariat. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Meetings of the Inter State Council". interstatecouncil.nic.in/. Inter State Council Secretariat. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
|This article about government in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|