Inverness Highlands South, Florida
|Inverness Highlands South, Florida|
Location in Citrus County and the state of Florida
|• Total||5.64 sq mi (14.60 km2)|
|• Land||5.63 sq mi (14.57 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|• Density||1,163/sq mi (449.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Inverness Highlands South is located in eastern Citrus County at  along the southern border of the city of Inverness, the county seat. The western edge of the CDP runs along the border of Withlacoochee State Forest.(28.799492, -82.330549),
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,781 people, 2,557 households, and 1,792 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,024.6 people per square mile (395.8/km²). There were 2,747 housing units at an average density of 486.8/sq mi (188.1/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 95.83% White, 1.73% African American, 0.35% Native American, 0.69% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.57% from other races, and 0.81% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.95% of the population.
There were 2,557 households out of which 21.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.7% were married couples living together, 8.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.9% were non-families. 26.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 2.66.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 19.1% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 18 to 24, 21.3% from 25 to 44, 21.5% from 45 to 64, and 33.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 50 years. For every 100 females there were 88.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.6 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $28,289, and the median income for a family was $34,647. Males had a median income of $27,742 versus $23,097 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $19,362. About 6.3% of families and 9.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.5% of those under age 18 and 7.4% of those age 65 or over.
The CDP is served by Citrus County Schools. Elementary schools serving sections of the CDP include Inverness and Pleasant Grove. All residents are zoned to Inverness Middle School, and Citrus High School.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Inverness Highlands South CDP, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 26, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Inverness Highlands South CDP, FL." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on February 3, 2017. Compare this map to the attendance boundary maps of the school district.
- "Citrus County Elementary School Attendance Boundaries." Citrus County Schools. Retrieved on February 2, 2017.
- "Citrus County Middle School Attendance Boundaries." Citrus County Schools. Retrieved on February 2, 2017.
- "Citrus County High School Attendance Boundaries." Citrus County Schools. Retrieved on February 2, 2017.