|• Municipal unit||219|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Ioannina Island (Greek: Νήσος Ιωαννίνων) is an island in the Lake of Ioannina, Epirus, Greece, a municipal unit of the municipality of Ioannina. Its area is 0,2 km2, with biggest length 800 meters and biggest width 500 meters. Until the 2011 reform of local government, it was a community within the Ioannina regional unit. Its population in 2001 was 347 and in 2011 was 219. It is reached by boat from the city of Ioannina or by ferry from the nearby shore.
The island is mentioned since 13th century when the first monastery, Monastery of Agios Nikolaos of Philanthropenoi, was built in 1291. Shortly after, a second monastery was built, the Monastery of Agiou Nikolaou Ntiliou or Agiou Nikolaou Stratigopoulou. During Ottoman Rule monastic community in the island was developed, so two even monasteries were founded during 16th century or the late of 15th century, the Monastery of Agiou Nikolaou Methodiou and Monastery of Prodromou. During 17th century three even monasteries were built the Monastery of Saint Pantaleon, the Monastery of Metamorphosis tou Sotiros and Monastery of Profiti Ilia. The little settlement of the island built possibly during 17th century and it flourished in the Ali Pasha Era. In this place, Ali Pasha died in 1822, chased by Ottoman army.
Places of interest
- Monastery of Agios Nikolaos of Philanthropenoi: It is built in 1291 or 1292 and it is the oldest monastery of the island. It is located south-east of the island’s settlement.
- Monastery of Agios Nikolaos Ntiliou: It is located south of Monastery of Agios Nikolaos of Philanthropenoi and it was built short after this monastery.
- Monastery of Agia Eleousa: It is located south of Monastery of Agios Nikolaos Ntiliou. Initially, the monastery was named Monastery of Agios Nikalaos Methodatos. It was built possibly in 16th century.
- Monastery of Profitis Ilias: It is located in the highest point of the island and it was built possibly during 17th century in place of one oldest church.
- Monastery of Metamorphosis tou Sotiros: It is located in the southwest part of the island, built possibly at the beginning of the 17th century.
- Monastery of Prodromos: It is located south-east of the island’s settlement, built at the beginning of 16th century.
- Monastery of Agios Panteleimonas: It is located near Monastery of Prodromos. Ali Pasha was murdered in this place.
- Settlement of the island: The settlement is an important sample of traditional Epirotic architecture with stone houses and slate roofs. It is located in the north part of the island.
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
- "Monastery of Agios Nikolaos of Philanthropenoi". odysseus.culture.gr. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Ιερές μονές στο νησάκι των Ιωαννίνων". matia.gr. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Ιωάννινα: Το νησί των μύθων". ethnos.gr. Retrieved 9 May 2015.
- "Τα Μοναστήρια του Νησιού των Ιωαννίνων.". romiosini.org.gr. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
|This Epirus location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|