J. Allen Williams
J. Allen Williams
Jeffery Allen Williams
September 27, 1960
Biloxi, Mississippi, U.S.
|Other names||Jeff Williams|
|Occupation||Animator, writer, director|
Jeffery Allen Williams (born September 27, 1960) is an American animator, writer, producer, actor, musician, and director. Williams founded Parallax Studio in Nixa, Missouri, and presently continues in the capacity of its CEO. Williams is best known for creating the independent science fiction interactive computer game Darkstar: The Interactive Movie (2010). He has also directed and produced two feature films: the fantasy thriller Everything, completed in 2017, and the science fiction film To Meet the Faces You Meet, currently in pre-production.
Williams was born in Biloxi, Mississippi, at the military hospital on Keesler Air Force Base. He was raised in the Springfield, Missouri, area, but later moved to Kansas City, Missouri, where he studied illustration, animation, and filmmaking at the Kansas City Art Institute.
He began using the stage name "Carmen Wilder" and formed the progressive rock band Wilder in 1986 with the musicians Bill Bruce, Jimmy Pitts, Brent Frazier, and James Lee Dillard – all of whom would later participate in creating the Darkstar soundtrack.
Darkstar: The Interactive Movie
Williams is most known for having written, animated, and directed the independent computer game Darkstar: The Interactive Movie. In an interview with Tom Chick at Fidget.com, Williams described his role in the production:
... right at 2000, I decided I was going to do something and I began production. And it just got bigger and bigger and bigger to the point that it kind of did itself. It kind of went out of control. I just wrote the thing and because I'm just one guy doing most of this – I mean, I've probably involved a hundred people to help me, doing sound and camera and all different things, but I bring them in as contract type stuff. But I'm kind of hands-on with every single thing, so that's the bottleneck. One guy being OCD and having to keep control over the whole thing.
Darkstar featured numerous live actors, including Clive Robertson and the original cast of Mystery Science Theater 3000. The project also featured original animations by the artist Richard Corben and was one of the final projects featuring the actor Peter Graves, who narrated the game. Williams also designed various costumes and props for the live action sequences and is one of the three credited composers of the soundtrack, alongside Jimmy Pitts and Bill Bruce.
To Meet the Faces You Meet
In 2020, Williams and Parallax Studio announced production on the independent film To Meet the Faces You Meet, based on the underground comic Fever Dreams written by Jan Strnad and illustrated by Richard Corben, featuring the voice of Patton Oswalt. On July 20, 2020, it was announced that the actors Patrick Warburton and Samuel Hunt had joined the cast. In September 2020, it was announced that Robert Picardo had also joined the cast.
Williams lives in Nixa, Missouri. He has a son, Chance, and a daughter, Maggie. Maggie Williams provided voice talent in Darkstar for the quirky robot MAGS (Motorized Automated Girl for Simon), a character that she also created.
|Year||Film||Credited Director||Credited Producer||Credited Writer||Credited Actor||Credited Role||Notes|
|2010||Darkstar: The Interactive Movie||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Dean Wilder||video game|
|2017||Everything||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Dahl Isaac Everheardt|
|2021||To Meet the Faces You Meet||Yes||Yes||Yes||In production|
- Wilding, Robin (November 11, 2011). "Jeff Williams of Parallax Studio Discusses Sticking with the Basics in Animation Today". AnimationCareerReview. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- Official Carmen Wilder website
- Interview at Fidget.com
- Jong, Philip (December 21, 2010). "J. Allen Williams interview". Adventure Classic Gaming. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- Darkstar was released on November 5, 2010 through the Darkstar website and as a downloadable program through Strategy First.Darkstar Soundtrack Sample
- Henry, Lindsey (May 2, 2014). "Locally produced movie, shot world wide". KY3. Archived from the original on May 6, 2014. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- "Community closeup: Springfield filmmaker on KSPR". KSPR. May 5, 2014. Archived from the original on May 6, 2015. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- "EVERYTHING". Kickstarter. May 10, 2014. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Osborn, Nicholas (May 13, 2020). "Patrick Warburton, Samuel Hunt Join Cast of Indie Film, 'To Meet the Faces You Meet'". Comic Watch. Retrieved July 22, 2020.
- "Patton Oswalt Joins Corben/Strnad for 'To Meet the Faces You Meet' Movie". Heavy Metal. May 14, 2020. Retrieved June 2, 2020.
- "Warburton, Hunt join 'To Meet the Faces You Meet'". Reel 360. July 20, 2020. Retrieved July 20, 2020.
- "Patrick Warburton, Samuel Hunt Join Cast of Indie Film, 'To Meet the Faces You Meet'". CreepyKingdom.com. July 22, 2020. Retrieved July 22, 2020.
- "Robert Picardo, Others Join 'To Meet the Faces You Meet' Film Cast". Creepy Kingdom. September 12, 2020. Retrieved December 3, 2020.