Jaganmohini (2009 film)
|Directed by||N. K. Vishwanathan|
|Produced by||H. Murali|
Kota Srinivasa Rao
|Cinematography||N. K. Viswanathan|
|Edited by||Suresh Urs|
Murali Cine Arts
Jaganmohini is a 2009 Indian Tamil-language horror film directed by N. K. Vishwanathan. It is based on B. Vittalacharya's cult horror film of the same name which itself was a remake of 1951 Kannada film Jaganmohini. It stars Namitha, Raja and Nila. It was simultaneously dubbed into Telugu with the same name and in Bengali as Mayabini Kanya. The film bombed at the box office. The film was also dubbed in Hindi under the same name.
The movie begins at Pachai Theevu, ruled by a mighty king (Narasimha Raju). His son and prince Jagathalapradhapan (Raja) is a valourous youth who sets out on a mission to capture pirates in the sea. He lands at Sangu Theevu, where the head of the sea pirates Alai Kallan lives. Jagathalapradhapan comes across Mohini (Namitha), who belong to the local fishermen community in the island. Romance blossom between them. Jagathalapradhapan manages to nab Alai Kallan and decides to return to his country. He promises Mohini that he would bring his parents to arrange for their wedding. However the King and his wife Mangayarkarasi (Yuvarani) arranges for their son's marriage with a princess Azhagu Nachiyar (Nila). Jagathalapradhapan tries hard to convince his parents that he would marry only Mohini.
To put an end to the problem, the king and his wife hatch a conspiracy and kills Mohini while she is in underwater using thugs. Enters a cruel tantrik (Kota Sreenivasa Rao), who uses the feud between Jagathalapradhapan and Alai Kallan and plans to kill Jagathalapradhapan and thereby get the ultimate power to rule the world. But all his plans are altered when Mohini's spirit comes back to earth. She prevents tantrum to near Jagathalaprathapan. Meanwhile, Mohini wishes to kill Jagathalaprathapan by luring him to have sex with her in an isolated forest so that she can unite with him in heaven. But the plan gets spoiled by Azhagu Nachiyar's smart tricks. Tantrik wants to kill Jagathalaprathapan using Alaikalan so that Goddess will get happy and grant his wish, but instead Jagathalaprathapan kills Alaikalan diverting it. Goddess wants him to ask his wish and she asks for Mohini to get back to her body but it's naturally impossible. Instead she inserts her soul into Azhagu Nachiyar's as alternative so that she gets "motcham". They happily rule the kingdom ever after in the end.
- Raja as Jagathalapradhapan
- Namitha as Jaganmohini
- Vadivelu as Jaganmohan
- Ali (Telugu) as Jaganmohan
- Nila as Azhagu Nachiyar
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as Sidhar
- Riyaz Khan as Indrajith
- Narasimha Raju as the King
- Yuvarani as Mangayarkarasi
- Jyothi Lakshmi as Jaganmohini and Jaganmohan's mother
- Venniradai Moorthy as Jaganmohan's Assistant
- Shobana as Koda Molakki Kokila
- Madhan Bob as Azhagu Nachiyar's brother
- Crane Manohar
Soundtrack was composed by Ilaiyaraja and lyrics were written by Vaali and Na. Muthukumar.
- "Ponmanitheril" - Bela Shende
- "Nilavu Varum" - Swetha, Ujjaini
- "Poothadu Poo" - Rahul Nambiar, Rita
- "Kattikitta" - Rahul Nambiar, Nancy Vincent
- "Unnai Vittal" - K. S. Chithra
Rediff wrote "With its silly storyline and terrible costumes, Jaganmohini is a half-baked remake of the original, with plenty of skin-show and terrible graphics." Behindwoods wrote "The N. K. Vishwanathan directed Jaganmohini is neither spooky nor amusing. Even if you are a die-hard Namitha fan, don’t be surprised if you become incensed towards the end of the movie, for she’s all over it."
- "Meera Chopra is angry her co star Namitha". liveindia.com.
- "Jagan Mohini Songs Download, Jagan Mohini Tamil MP3 Songs, Raaga.com Tamil Songs". raaga.com.
- "Review: Jaganmohini is a half-baked remake". Rediff.
- "Jaganmohini - Tamil Movie Reviews - Jaganmohini Namitha Raja Vadivelu Nila N K Vishwanathan Ilayaraja Murali Cine Arts - Behindwoods.com". behindwoods.com.