Courtney at the film premiere of Divergent in 2014
|Born||Jai Stephen Courtney
15 March 1986
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
Jai Stephen Courtney (//; born 15 March 1986) is an Australian actor and former model. He started his career with small roles in films and television series before being cast as Charlie in the action film Jack Reacher (2012). He then went on to star in A Good Day to Die Hard (2013) and I, Frankenstein (2014).
Courtney had a recurring role as Varro in the television series Spartacus: Blood and Sand (2010). He played Eric Coulter in the science fiction action film Divergent (2014), and in 2015, he reprised the role in the sequel, Insurgent, and also played Kyle Reese in Terminator Genisys. Courtney is also set to play Boomerang, another version of the DC Comics supervillain Captain Boomerang in the 2016 superantihero film Suicide Squad.
Courtney was born in Sydney, New South Wales, and grew up in Cherrybrook, a suburb of Sydney. His father, Chris, worked for a state-owned electricity company, and his mother, Karen, was a teacher at Galston Public School, where Courtney and his older sister were students. He then attended Cherrybrook Technology High School and the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts.
Courtney's first role was in a 2005 controversial short film titled Boys Grammar which also starred Daniel Feuerriegel and Adam J. Yeend. In 2008, Courtney had a role in the Australian series Packed to the Rafters, then a guest lead in the popular All Saints, the comedy feature To Hell & Bourke and several short films. In 2010, he played Varro in Spartacus: Blood and Sand for 10 episodes, before starring in Jack Reacher in 2012 with Tom Cruise and in A Good Day to Die Hard with Bruce Willis as John McClane's son, Jack.
Courtney played Eric, one of the leaders of the faction Dauntless, in the film Divergent (2014). Later, he starred in Unbroken, where he played Hugh "Cup" Cuppernell and The Water Diviner as Lt. Col. Cecil Hilton. He reprised his role in the sequel The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015), which began filming May 2014 and was released 20 March 2015.
Courtney played one of the leads, Kyle Reese, in the science ficion action film Terminator Genisys. Filming on Terminator Genisys began in April/May 2014, and the film was released on 1 July 2015. Courtney worked on Terminator and Insurgent concurrently.
Courtney provided backing vocals on the Pinch Hitter song "All of a Sudden" from their debut album, When Friends Die in Accidents.
In March 2015, Courtney signed on to play Captain Boomerang in the upcoming DC Comics film Suicide Squad, alongside Will Smith, Jared Leto and Margot Robbie. Filming began in April 2015 and will have a release date of August 2016.
|2005||Boys Grammar||Alex||Short film|
|2013||A Good Day to Die Hard||John "Jack" McClane, Jr.|
|2014||Unbroken||Hugh "Cup" Cuppernell|
|2014||The Water Diviner||Lt. Col. Cecil Hilton|
|2015||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Eric Coulter|
|2015||Terminator Genisys||Kyle Reese|
|2015||Man Down||Devin Roberts|
|2016||Suicide Squad||George "Digger" Harkness / "Boomerang"||Post-production|
|2008||All Saints||Harry Avent||2 episodes|
|2008–09||Packed to the Rafters||Damian||2 episodes|
|2010||Spartacus: Blood and Sand||Varro||Main role, 10 episodes|
- Corinne Heller (4 December 2014). "Jai Courtney, Terminator Genisys Star: 5 Things to Know About the Australian Hottie". E!. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Blumer, Clare (23 April 2012). "Die Hard Jai". The Global Mail. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Roach, Vicky (3 December 2012). "Jai Courtney's not just a face in the crowd". News.com.au. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Naglazas, Mark (21 March 2013). "WAAPA graduate has roles to die for". The West Australian. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- Eisenberg, Eric (29 September 2011). "Spartacus Star Jai Courtney Joins Tom Cruise In One Shot". CinemaBlend.com.
- Gilchrist, Todd; McClintock, Pamela (22 February 2012). "'A Good Day to Die Hard:' Jai Courtney Cast as Bruce Willis' Son". Hollywood Reporter.
- White, James (22 February 2012). "Jai Courtney Will Die Hard". Empire.
- "Jai Courtney Joins Joel Edgerton In Aussie Thriller ‘Felony’". Deadline Hollywood. 15 October 2012.
- Fleming, Mike (24 October 2013). "Jai Courtney Tapped For Angelina Jolie’s ‘Unbroken’, Russell Crowe’s ‘Water Diviner’". deadline.com. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Tracy Brown (19 March 2015). "‘Insurgent’: Jai Courtney talks Eric’s journey, ‘Terminator’". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (19 February 2014). "Jai Courtney to Play Kyle Reese in ‘Terminator’ Reboot (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- Rose, Tiffany (March 2014). "Jai Courtney and Miles Teller Talk ‘Divergent’, ‘Terminator’ and ‘Fantastic Four’". Screen Rant.
- Sacks, Ethan (19 February 2014). "Jai Courtney cast in 'Terminator: Genisys'". New York Daily News.
- Kroll, Justin (27 March 2014). "Jai Courtney Officially Signs on to ‘Terminator’". Variety.
- "Track by Track: Pinch Hitter : Mess+Noise". Mess+Noise. 17 November 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- Brent Lang (17 March 2015). "Jai Courtney Says ‘Suicide Squad’ Will Be ‘Huge’". Variety. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Jacobs, Mark (28 November 2012). "Jai Courtney - Page - Interview Magazine". Interview Magazine. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Jai Courtney: Creepy crawlers terrify me". Belfast Telegraph. 18 February 2013. Retrieved 4 April 2014.
- "Former Neighbours star Gemma Panita engaged to childhood friend Matthew Rooney". The Daily Telegraph. 19 March 2015. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jai Courtney.|