James Dobbins (diplomat)
|James F. Dobbins|
|United States Ambassador to European Union|
|President||George H.W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Thomas Michael Tolliver Niles|
|Succeeded by||Stuart E. Eizenstat|
May 31, 1942 |
New York City
|Profession||Diplomat, Career Ambassador|
James Francis Dobbins, Jr. (born May 31, 1942 in New York City) is an American diplomat who served as United States Ambassador to the European Union (1991–93), as Assistant Secretary of State for European Affairs (2001), and as Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan (May 2013-July 2014). He is a member of the American Academy of Diplomacy. He was envoy to Kosovo, Bosnia, Haiti, Somalia. In 2001, he led negotiations leading to the Bonn Agreement. He was head of international and security policy for the RAND Corporation.
- "Iraq: Winning the Unwinnable Wars", Foreign Affairs, January/February 2005
- "Who Lost Iraq?", Foreign Affairs, September/October 2007
- "Counterinsurgency in Iraq", Senate Armed Services Committee, 2-26-09
- Dobbins, James (March 3, 2009). "To Talk With Iran, Stop Not Talking". The Washington Post. Retrieved May 5, 2010.
- Dobbins, James (January 16, 2010). "Skip the Graft". The New York Times. Retrieved May 5, 2010.
- Occupying Iraq: A History of the Coalition Provisional Authority The RAND Corporation. By James Dobbins, Seth G. Jones, Benjamin Runkle, Sidd harth Mohandas, 2009.
- The UN's role in nation-building: from the Congo to Iraq. Rand Corporation. 2005. ISBN 978-0-8330-3589-9.
- The Rand History of Nation-Building. RAND Corporation. 2005. ISBN 978-0-8330-3739-8.
- The beginner's guide to nation-building. RAND National Security Research Division. 2007. ISBN 978-0-8330-3988-0.
- Europe's role in nation-building: from the Balkans to the Congo. Rand Corporation. 2008. ISBN 978-0-8330-4138-8.
- After the war: nation-building from FDR to George W. Bush. Rand Corporation. 2008. ISBN 978-0-8330-4181-4.
- After the Taliban: Nation-Building in Afghanistan. Potomac Books. 2008. ISBN 978-1-59797-083-9.
- James Dobbins, Seth G. Jones, Benjamin Runkle (2009). Occupying Iraq: a history of the Coalition Provisional Authority. Rand Corporation. ISBN 978-0-8330-4665-9.
- Bob Woodward (2007). State of Denial: Bush at War. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 978-0-7432-7224-7.
- "James F. Dobbins, Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan".
- US State Department profile of Dobbins
- UNJobs.org list of Dobbins authorships
- Video discussion with Dobbins and Mark Leon Goldberg on Bloggingheads.tv
- "An Interview with James Dobbins", Frontline, Sept. 26, 2003