Jamison (James) Green
November 8, 1948
|Education||Manchester Metropolitan University|
|Known for||Prominent campaigner in the transgender rights movement|
|Board member of||Gender Education and Advocacy, Transgender Law and Policy Institute, World Professional Association for Transgender Health, Equality Project|
Jamison "James" Green (born November 8, 1948) is a transgender rights activist.
Green is known as an activist for the legal protection, medical access, safety, civil rights, and dignity of transgender and transsexual people. He began presenting on the fair treatment of transgender workers in 1989. He has published several essays and articles, wrote a column for PlanetOut.com and has appeared in eight documentary films.
Green has served on the boards of the Transgender Law and Policy Institute and the Equality Project, was an advisory board member of the National Center for Transgender Equality, and chaired the board of Gender Education and Advocacy. He served as president of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health from 2014 to 2016. He was the leader of FTM International from March 1991 to August 1999.
Green helped establish the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index in 2002 and was a member of the organization’s Business Council until late 2007, when he resigned over the organization's stance on transgender inclusion in the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.
Becoming a Visible Man
Green authored Becoming a Visible Man in 2004. The book combines two strands: autobiographical writing about Green's transition from living as a lesbian to living as a bisexual trans man, as well as broader commentary about the status of transsexual men in society. The book received the 2004 Sylvia Rivera Award for best book in Transgender Studies from the Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies and was also a finalist for a 2004 Lambda Literary Award.
Green is slated to republish the book in 2020 under Vanderbilt University Press.
- McQuade, Aaron (27 September 2011). "Transgender Advocate Jamison Green Speaks About Policy Work and Education". Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- Sosin, Kate (29 October 2019). "Meet Jamison Green, the Trans Health Care Pioneer You Didn't Learn About in History Class". New Now Next.
- Publications and Media jamisongreen.com
- Sosin 10/29/2019, Kate. "Meet Jamison Green, the Trans Health Care Pioneer You Didn't Learn About in History Class". LOGO News. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- "Two Transgender Members Quit HRC Business Council". Advocate. 29 November 2007.
- Cassell, Heather (13 December 2007). "Former HRC trans business leaders pave their own path". The Bay Area Reporter.
- Green, Jamison (2004). Becoming a Visible Man. Vanderbilt University Press. ISBN 0-8265-1457-X.