Jane McAdam Freud
|Jane McAdam Freud|
24 February 1958|
|Known for||Conceptual Sculpture, Installation|
Jane McAdam Freud FRBS (born 24 February 1958) is a British conceptual sculptor working in Installation art and digital media. She was the winner of the 2014 European Trebbia Awards for artistic achievement.
McAdam Freud was born in London to Katherine Margaret McAdam and Lucian Freud and she is the great-granddaughter of Sigmund Freud. Her career began with a solo show at the age of 18, curated by her art teachers at Putney College, which is now part of South Thames College. After completing a Foundation course at Wimbledon College of Art, McAdam Freud studied Mosaics in Ravenna from 1977 to 1978 returning to London to study at the Central School of Art and Design and at the Royal College of Art under the supervision of John Stezaker and Eduardo Paolozzi.
In 1986 McAdam Freud won the British Art Medal Scholarship in Rome where she studied sculpture at the Accademia di Belle Arti di Roma under Gino Marotta and at the Scuola d'Arte della Medaglia in Rome. McAdam Freud is an associate lecturer at Central Saint Martins and teaches short courses in the Sculpture School at Morley College. She has also taught at the Royal College of Art, London and at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts, Antwerp.
McAdam Freud is a Fellow of the Royal British Society of Sculptors. In 1991 she was awarded the Italian State Mint prize for her work Moments and Memories. Her winning design was put into production by the Istituto Poligrafico e Zecca dello Stato. In the same year she was granted the Freedom of the City of London. She has published several catalogues including; On the Edge 1996, Relative Relations 2006  and numerous papers on Art and Psychoanalysis.
McAdam Freud's short film Dead or Alive refers to Freud’s concept of Condensation. The pairings morph into each other through the merging back and forth of Freud’s antiquities with her sculpture, from past to present ‘virtually’ closing the gap of time. Great similarities can be found in the forms and motifs of the pairs. At a midway point the two objects merge and form a third image of a ‘virtual’ object. Her preference for this work was to locate it within reach of a psychoanalytically aware audience. Dead or Alive was shown internationally at museums, institutes and galleries including Philoctetes Centre for the Imagination, NY, New York USA in 2008, Lung Yingtai Cultural Foundation, (Media Tek Lectures) Taipei, Taiwan and the Kosciuszko Foundation, NYC, USA in 2009. Also the Sundaram Tagore Gallery, LA, USA in 2010 and Whitelabs Gallery, Milan in 2012.
Her works are represented in both national and international public collections including the British Museum, the National Gallery Archives, London, the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford and the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge. International collections include the Brooklyn Museum, The National Arts Club, Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, the Greek National Gallery, and the Berlin State Museums.
In 2015-16 Jane McAdam Freud had a mid career retrospective at the Wooyang Contemporary Art Museum in South Korea following her exhibition at Gazelli Art House, London in the summer of 2015.
- 2014 (Oct 17-Nov 14) 'Dance of Disapproval' Anna Pavlova House, London
- 2014 (June) 'Parallels' 2 man show with photographer Frank Dabba Smith at The Priory, Roehampton, London
- 2014 'On Identity', Gallery Martini Ronchetti, Genoa, Italy
- 2014 (May,Jun) 'In the Mould of the Fathers' C2 Contemporanea,Florence, Italy
- 2014 'In My Own Image – Ill Fit' British Psychotherapy Foundation, London
- 2014 'Painted Earth' Harrow Arts Centre, London
- 2013 'Dreaming and Doing' Pushkin Museum of Fine Art, Moscow
- 2013: 'Taking Care' Palazzo Tagliaferro, Andora, Italy
- 2013: 'Family Matters' Gazelli Art House, Baku, Azerbaijan
- 2012: '3 Generations' Whitelabs Gallery, Milan, Italy
- 2012: 'Flesh and Stone' New School House Gallery, York, UK
- 2012: 'Family Matters' Gazelli Art House, London, UK
- 2012: 'Lucian Freud My Father' Freud Museum, London.
- 2011: 'HiStory' Austria General Consulate Gallery, Cracow, Poland
- 2011: 'Hinged' Freud Museum of Dreams, St. Petersburg, Russia/
- 2011: 'Random Plus' Sundaram Tagore Gallery, New York
- 2010: 'War Works' Centre for Jewish Culture, Kraków, Poland
- 2010: 'Random' Sundaram Tagore Gallery, LA, USA
- 2010: 'Freud on Freud' New Center of Psychoanalysis in LA, USA
- 2010: 'StoneSpeak' Freud Museum, London
- 2009/10: 'Conceptual Sculpture' London Centre for Psychotherapy
- 2009: 'Repetitions' Kosciuszko Foundation NYC, USA
- 2009: 'Other Side' Harrow and Wembley Progressive Synagogue
- 2009: 'Repetitions' New York Psychoanalytic Society, NYC, USA
- 2007: 'Relative Reflections' Muzeum Novojičínska, Pribor, Czech Republic
- 2007: 'Relative Relations' Harrow Museum, London
- 2006: 'Subject as Object' Beverley Knowles Fine Art, London
- 2006: 'Relative Relations' Freud Museum
- 2006: 'We Do' Adele Boag Gallery, Adelaide, Australia
- 2004: 'Give and Take' Ashmolean Museum, Oxford
- 2001: 'Resonating' The Gallery, University College Cork
- 2000: Das Norske Veritas, London Bridge
- 1999: Forum for Contemporary Art, St. Louis, Missouri, USA
- 1998: Marishal Museum, Aberdeen, Scotland
- 1998: Simmons Gallery, Bloomsbury, London
- 1997: Hunterian Museum, Glasgow, Scotland
- 1997: Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge
- 1996: Yorkshire Museum, York
The most recent screening venues are·· the Wooyang Museum of Contemporary Art in 2015-16 and at NYU, New York USA in March 2017.
Past screening venues include
- 2012 Three Generations, Milan, Italy
- 2011 Psycause Conference, Pribor, Czech Republic
- 2011 Sundaram Tagore Gallery, NY, USA
- 2010 Sundaram Tagore Gallery, LA, USA
- 2010 New Center for Psychoanalysis in LA, USA
- 2009 National Arts Club, NYC, USA
- 2009 Kosciuszko Foundation, NYC, USA
- 2009 Shifan University, Kaohsiung, South Taiwan Org. by the Goethe Institute, Taipei
- 2009 Lung Yingtai Cultural Foundation, (Media Tek Lectures) Taipei, Taiwan
- 2009 Medailia Rack and Hamper Gallery, NY, New York USA
- 2009 NYSPI New York Psychoanalytic Society, New York, NY, USA
- 2008 Philoctetes Centre for the Imagination, NY, New York USA
- 2008 Fourth International Symposium Psychoanalysis and Art, Florence, Italy
- 2008 Royal College of Art Cross Currents #3 event
- 2007 Waterstones Bookstore, Harrow on the Hill, London
- 2007 Muzeum Novojicinska, Pribor, Czech Republic
- 2007 Florence Biennale, Italy
- 2007 German Psychoanalytic Society, Berlin
- 2007 Harrow Museum, London
- 2006 Freud Museum, London
- Inspirational Woman - Asha Centre
- Royal College of Art, London
- Jane McAdam Freud FRBS MA (RCA): Royal British Society of Sculptors
- Scuola d'Arte della Medaglia
- Istituto Poligrafico e Zecca dello Stato
- Simon Hattenstone (18 January 2012). "Jane McAdam Freud: a farewell to my father". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- Sculpture - On the Edge
- Sculpture - On the Edge
- Relative Relations
- Relative Relations
- Jane McAdam Freud Official Website
- Charlotte Cripps (19 January 2012). "Jane McAdam Freud: 'How my sculpture of my father, Lucian helped me cope with his death'". The Independent. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- Penelope Andrew (18 January 2011). "The Freud(ian)s: Inspired by Sigmund's Passion for Antiquities, Jane Debuts Own Paradigms of the Unconscious". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design
- "Relative Relations" Book Launch Press Release 2008
- Morton, Thomas Article: Jane McAdam Freud "Relative Relations" at The Freud Museum 27 September 2006. Culture24. Accessed 26 November 2009
- Adele Boag Gallery, Adelaide
- The Ashmolean Museum
- Jane McAdam Freud at The Forum for Contemporary Art, St. Louis
- Official website
- RBS Online Gallery
- Jane McAdam Freud FRBS @ Art Parks
- Article on the exhibition at The Freud Museum
- Who's Who in Art By Art Trade Press Limited, The, 2002
- Sculpture: On The Edge by Jane McAdam Freud, 1996