New York City, New York, U.S.
|Education||Yale University, Harvard Business School|
|Occupation||Co-Founder/Head of Business Development, Rent the Runway|
Early life and education
Fleiss grew up in New York City. She graduated cum laude from Yale University with a BA in 2005 and later attended Harvard Business School, where she met future co-founder of Rent the Runway Jennifer Hyman, and graduated with an MBA in 2009.
Fleiss co-founded Rent the Runway with Jennifer Hyman. She served as head of business development and as a member of the firm's Board of Directors. Fleiss managed business growth and long-term strategy planning, including key partnerships and sponsorship sales. She also assists with company-wide infrastructure, project planning, and key logistics decisions.
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Fleiss is credited[by whom?] with vertically integrating the Rent the Runway operation in the company's 40,000 square foot distribution center in Secaucus, New Jersey.
Recode reported that Code Eight was testing a personal shopping service in New York City, and had posted a job listing for "a trusted personal shopping companion that surprises and delights the high net worth urban consumer."
Fleiss presents on topics such as the sharing economy, female leadership, entrepreneurship, and industry trends in retail, social media, and marketing.
Fleiss started her career crafting long-term company strategy in the Strategic Planning Group at Morgan Stanley. She then moved on to Lehman Brothers’ Asset Management Group where she was responsible for analyzing business growth opportunities through acquisitions, international expansion and new product strategies. A natural entrepreneur, Jenny founded an essay-editing and coaching service for college applicants, and built the company into an online tutoring service.
Awards and honors
Fleiss has received various honors and recognitions including Fortune’s “40 Under 40” and “Most Powerful Women Entrepreneurs”; Forbes’s “Disruptors 2013”; Inc.’s “30 Under 30”; Fast Company’s “Most Influential Women in Technology”; Ernst & Young’s “Entrepreneur of the Year” New York Area Regional finalist; and Fashionista.com's “Most Influential People in New York Fashion.”
- Moore, Booth, "Rent the Runway heads to Vegas' Cosmopolitan in time for New Year's", "Los Angeles Times", December 17, 2013
- "Walmart is developing personal shopping services and cashier-free stores – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- "Jennifer Fleiss CrunchBase Profile", "CrunchBase"
- Openshaw, Jennifer. "Rent the Runway's Jennifer Fleiss: From finance to fashion". Marketwatch.com. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- Keating, Caitlin, "40 Under 40", "Fortune", October 17, 2012
- Sellers, Patricia, "Fortune's most promising women entrepreneurs", "Fortune", September 13, 2011
- Carlyle, Erin, "Disruptors", "Forbes"
- Evans, Suzy "The Most Influential Women in Technology 2011 - Jennifer Hyman and Jennifer Fleiss", "Fast Company", January 10, 2011
- "2013 finalists announced", "Ernst and Young"
- Sherman, Lauren, "Fashionista 50: The Most Influential People in New York Fashion", "Fashionista", February 8, 2011