Jennifer Morla (born 1955 in Manhattan, New York, USA) is an American graphic designer and artist based San Francisco, California.
Jennifer Morla studied conceptual art at Hartford Art School, University of Hartford and received her BFA in Graphic Design from Massachusetts College of Art and Design in Boston, Massachusetts. In the late 70s she was working as the in-house designer at Levi Strauss & Co. and at PBS Television, San Francisco. In 1984 she founded her own studio Morla Design in San Francisco. Clients include The New York Times, Levi Strauss & Co., Apple Computer, Williams-Sonoma, Inc., Herman Miller Inc., Stanford University, Gap and Luna Textiles. She has worked extensively with conceptual art venues designing identities, books and posters for Sculpture Center, Capp Street Project, and New Langton Arts.
Since 1992 she is an adjunct professor at California College of the Arts. From 2006 to 2008 she joined Design Within Reach where she oversaw the design of all media as vice-president and design director. In 2008, under her creative and marketing direction, Design Within Reach was awarded the AIGA Corporate Leadership Award. During this time she continued to work at Morla Design with focus on educational and arts institutions such as Stanford University. In 2010 Morla awarded AIGA Medal. In 2012 she was invited artist at The Workshop Residence where she investigated typographic forms as applied to felt floor coverings and wall panels.
Jennifer Morla's work has been published extensively, including multiple pieces in Meggs' History of Graphic Design, (5th Edition) and The Poster: 1000 Posters from Toulouse-Lautrec to Sagmeister. She has been featured in numerous national and international magazines such as The New York Times Magazine, Graphis Inc., Communication Arts, IDEA (Japan), Linea Graphica (Italy), A Diseño (Mexico), and Novum (Germany). Her work is part of the permanent collections of the Moma, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Smithsonian American Art Museum, the Denver Art Museum, and the Library of Congress.
Jennifer Morla has also had solo exhibitions at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMoMA) in 1999. and at DDD Gallery in 1994 in Japan. Her work has been displayed in group shows at the Grand Palais in Paris, the Brandenburg Art Gallery in Berlin, the Museum of Art and Design in New York City, the Denver Art Museum, and the Smithsonian American Art Museum in Washington D.C.
Jennifer Morla served on the National Board of Directors for the AIGA (1997-1999), was past president of AIGA San Francisco Chapter (1992), is an AIGA Fellow (2008), and is on the Accessions Board for Architecture and Design at San Francisco's Museum of Modern Art (1995–present). Since 1992, she has taught Senior Graphic Design Thesis at California College of the Arts (CCA). She lectures internationally and is a selected AGI member.
As an artist, Jennifer Morla’s large-scale, encaustic paintings and multi-ton steel sculpture are shown at K. Kimpton Gallery in San Francisco.
- CCA faculty Morla Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- The AIGA Corporate Leadership Award Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- AIGA medalist Morla Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- The Workshop Residence Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- http://www.graphis.com/archive/magazines/?p=160 Graphis, Issue 319, Jennifer Morla: Any Way, Shape, or Form, p 22
- http://www.commarts.com/Search.aspx?code=morla&c=True&ft=False&dt=i Jennifer Morla in Communication Arts Magazine
- Jennifer Morla at MoMa. Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- San Francisco Museum of Modern Art Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- Jennifer Morla at Smithsonian American Art Museum Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/iuc2009005443 Jennifer Morla at Library of Congress
- http://www.artfacts.net/en/institution/san-francisco-museum-of-modern-art-sfmoma-2379/overview.html Jennifer Morla solo exhibition at SFMoMA
- http://www.dnp.co.jp/gallery/ddd_e/exhibition/d027/index.html Jennifer Morla solo exhibition at DDD Gallery
- http://aigasf.org/about/people/presidents AIGA San Francisco Chapter presidents
- http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/fellow-jennifer-morla?searchtext=jennifer%20morla Jennifer Morla, AIGA Fellow Recipient
- Jennifer Morla's AGI Profile Retrieved 2015-04-14
- Graphis Poster Annual 2011, Morla Design awarded Graphis Poster Annual 2011 Gold
- CCA Graphic Design's Jennifer Morla Awarded High Honors with AIGA Medal, CCA News, May 17, 2010
- Q&A with Jennifer Morla at the Wayback Machine (archived July 19, 2011), Interview by Sean Adams, Step Inside Design, July/August 2006.
- The Establishment at the Wayback Machine (archived July 19, 2011), Interviews & Profiles by Emily Potts, Step Inside Design, Nov/Dec 2005.
- Gerda Breuer, Julia Meer, ed. (2012). Women in Graphic Design''. Berlin: Jovis. p. 517/519, 554. ISBN 978-3-86859-153-8.