Jenny (Studio Killers song)
|Single by Studio Killers|
|from the album Studio Killers|
|Released||3 May 2013|
|Label||Warner Music Finland|
Studio Killers Records
|Songwriter(s)||Studio Killers, Rob Davis|
|Studio Killers singles chronology|
"Jenny", also titled "Jenny (I Wanna Ruin Our Friendship)" in late 2020 following its resurgence on TikTok, is a song written, produced and performed by the virtual band Studio Killers, released in May 2013 as the fourth single from their self-titled debut studio album. Played in the key of B major, the song, inspired by singer Chubby Cherry's crush on a person named Jenny, discusses a girl falling in love with her best friend. The single was a number-two hit on the Finnish Singles Chart, and was received positively by critics.
Production and composition
Studio Killers wrote, produced and performed "Jenny", with additional songwriting done by Rob Davis. Goldie Foxx and Dyna Mink made the instrumental beat, while Chubby Cherry wrote the melody and lyrics and performed the vocals. According to Chubby Cherry, this was one of the songs she wrote before forming Studio Killers. It was inspired by a crush Cherry had on a person named Jenny. She said the lyrics "sort of changed along the way because [Goldie Foxx and Dyna Mink] added some of their feelings with my feelings and it became kind of intriguing." About the song having to do with lesbian relationships, the most discussed topic in Finland at the time the song was released, the group thought "it should be nothing to shy away from." Lyrically the song describes a relationship with two women, in which one of them, Jenny, has a boyfriend. According to Popmatters writer Ryan Lathan, "it appears her dearest pal is stealing things out of her room and sleeping with her shirt as if it were a pillowcase. [The narrator] then is suggesting Jenny "forget those amigos" and shack up with her."
Described by a Scandipop writer as a more "straightforward," less eccentric pop song that previous Studio Killer singles, "Jenny" is a "half Europop, half commercial house" steel drum-filled track, with "a little bit of a Caribbean-meets-Mediterranean flair". The original track includes an accordion performed by Le Chien de Paris and steel drums played by Miguel Barradas. The song was mixed by James F. Reynolds, and later mastered by Dick Beetham at 360 Mastering in London. The track lasts for three minutes and 36 seconds, and is performed in B major at a tempo of 134 beats per minute. Writers noted the song's similar groove to Edward Maya's "Stereo Love".
Release and reception
"Jenny" is the seventh track from Studio Killers' self-titled debut album, and was issued as the fourth album's single, the third in Finland. The band released a two-minute preview of the song on their official SoundCloud page on 1 May. The single was released on 3 May to digital music stores in Finland by Warner Music, and later a CD promotional single came out on 11 May in Finland by Studio Killers Records. The song debuted at number 18 on the Finnish Singles Chart, reaching number two on the chart, as well as peaking number three on both Finland's download chart and Billboard's Finland Digital Songs chart. Upon its release, "Jenny" was called by critics "an obvious must-listen for your beach (and/or light stalking) playlists", "this summer's surprise hit waiting to happen," and "another hit out of the park for Studio Killers". It is lead vocalist Chubby Cherry's favorite track off of Studio Killers, with her saying that it "holds a personal place in my heart."
In September 2020, TikTok user @isaac..thebully posted the first video of what became a internet challenge video trend titled "Darling You're My Best Friend," known by its hashtag #RuinOurFriendship; each video involves a subject talking with a friend or stranger (in-person or via text or Snapchat) with the following snippet from "Jenny" as the soundtrack: "Darling, you’re my best friend / But there’s a few things that you don’t know of / Why I borrow your lipstick so often / I’m using your shirt as a pillow case / I wanna ruin our friendship / We should be lovers instead / I don’t know how to say this / 'cause you’re really my dearest friend." As of 30 November 2020, more than 359,000 videos used the song, and videos with the #RuinOurFriendship hashtag garnered more than 41.3 million views combined.
|PopMatters||The Ten Best Dance Singles of 2013||2013||4|
Credits from liner notes of Studio Killers:
- Studio Killers – songwriting, production, performer
- Le Chien de Paris – accordion
- Miguel Barradas – steel drums
- Rob Davis – songwriting
- James F. Reynolds – mixing
- Dick Beetham – mastering
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||2|
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||56|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||23|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||*|
|Belgium Dance (Ultratop Wallonia)||49|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||81|
|UK Indie (OCC)||15|
|US Hot Dance/Electronic Songs (Billboard)||7|
|Finland||3 May 2013||Digital download||Warner Music Finland|
|11 May 2013||CD Promotional single||Studio Killers Records|
- Studio Killers (Media notes). Studio Killers. Warner Music Finland. 2013. 5053105800322.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Interview with Studio Killers. contactmusic. June 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Shemeikka, Tytti (17 June 2013). Virtuaaliyhtye Studio Killersin laulajatar Chubby Cherry haluaisi keikoille (in Finnish). ylex.fi. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Lathan, Ryan (3 May 2013). "Song Review: Studio Killers' New Single "Jenny"". The Sonic Hive. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Studio Killers: 'Jenny'". Scandipop. 4 May 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Studio Killers, An Animated Band, Deliver Surprise Electro-Pop Debut of the Year. MuuMuse. June 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Studio Killers – Jenny (Original Mix). Studio Killers Records. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Stern, Brad (18 June 2013). "Kelly Rowland, Studio Killers, G.R.L. + More: 5 Must-Hear Pop Songs Of The Week". MTV Buzzworthy. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Animaatioyhtye Studio Killersin albumi ilmestyy kesäkuussa". Warner Music Finland. 28 May 2013. Archived from the original on 2 January 2014. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Jenny (Clip) by Studio Killers". 1 May 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Jenny (2013)". 7digital (FI). Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Jenny (Media notes). Studio Killers. Studio Killers Records. 2013. GBX2M1300001.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Studio Killers: Jenny" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Finland Digital Songs : 17 August 2013. Billboard biz. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Studio Killers Album Review". June 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- KKS EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Studio Killers Archived 7 December 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Kick Kick Snare. 15 July 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Sommer, Liz (30 November 2020). "'Darling You're My Best Friend' TikTok Trend #RuinOurFriendship". StayHipp. Retrieved 25 January 2021.
- "Jenny Music Video". Tumblr. Tumblr. Retrieved 1 December 2018.
- "Studio Killers: 'Jenny' has arrived". outlet. 20 January 2016. Archived from the original on 27 February 2019. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- Lathan, Ryan (25 December 2013). "The Best Dance Singles of 2013". PopMatters. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- "Austriancharts.at – Studio Killers – Jenny" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Ultratop.be – Studio Killers – Jenny" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Ultratop.be – Studio Killers – Jenny" (in French). Ultratip. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Ultratop.be – Studio Killers – Jenny" (in French). Ultratop Dance. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Studio Killers – Jenny" (in German). GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Studio Killers". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Official Independent Singles Chart Top 50". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Studio Killers, DAN". Billboard. Retrieved 15 December 2020.