Jerome Ropati playing for the New Zealand Warriors
|Full name||Jerome Piper Leitu Ropati|
23 November 1984 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||176 cm (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||94 kg (14 st 11 lb)|
Jerome Ropati (born 23 November 1984 in Auckland, New Zealand) is a former professional rugby league footballer who played his entire career for the New Zealand Warriors in the National Rugby League competition. Ropati also represented New Zealand, and was a member of the World Cup-winning team in 2008. His position of choice was at centre but he also played at fullback and five-eighth.
Ropati is of Samoan descent and was educated at St Paul's College, a school noted for its rugby league teams.
Ropati's junior club was the Marist Saints and he played for the Marist Richmond Brothers in the Bartercard Cup. It was his 2003 season in the Bartercard Cup that shot him to prominence, as he enjoyed a stellar season and led the club to the grand final. He missed the grand final, which the Brothers lost, because he was making his NRL debut for the Warriors.
He made his first grade debut for the Warriors in round 25 of the 2003 season against the Sydney Roosters. When not selected for the first grade side, Ropati represented the Auckland Lions in both the Bartercard Cup and NSWRL Premier League. He was one of four players who played in every game for the Warriors in 2007.
He made his debut for the New Zealand Kiwis in 2005 against Australia and was involved in the 2006 Tri Nations. He was a member of the 2008 World Cup winning Kiwis team, that defeated Australia in the Final, with Ropati scoring a try in the match.
In 2009 he extended his Warriors career until to 2012 season, becoming a 10 year Warrior. His 2011 season was ruined by injury as he tore his ACL in round 3. He retired during the 2014 season, following another injury.
After retirement, Ropati stayed working for the Warriors, becoming a community ambassador. For the 2017 season, Ropati was appointed an assistant coach to the club's Intrust Super Premiership NSW side.
- ROPATI, JEROME PIPER LEITU 2005 - 2006, 2008 - 2009 - KIWI #716 Archived 2012-04-23 at the Wayback Machine. nzleague.co.nz
- Rugby League Project%5d http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/Jerome_Ropati.html Rugby League Project] Check
|url=value (help). Missing or empty
- Rattue, Chris (2 September 2006). "League: Jerome Ropati - Miracle in the making". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "Warriors Star Profile: Jerome Ropati". Television New Zealand. 15 July 2004. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- 2002 Junior Kiwis Season NZRL.co.nz
- Brown, Michael (29 March 2009). "NRL: Ropati extends contract to 2012". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- Ropati to become 10-year Vodafone Warrior Archived 2009-04-03 at the Wayback Machine. Warriors Official Site, 29 March 2009
- Ropati out for the season Archived 2012-10-26 at the Wayback Machine. rleague.com, 29 March 2011
- Media, NRL Digital. "Coaches confirmed for ISP and NYC teams".