Jerry Best (bassist)
|Birth name||Gerard John Best|
May 8, 1963|
Queens, New York, United States
|Genres||Rock and roll, hard rock, heavy metal|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, composer|
|Labels||Scotti Brothers, Virgin|
|Associated acts||Lion, Dio, Freak of Nature, Heavy Bones|
|Website||Official Jerry Best Website|
Gerard John "Jerry" Best (born May 8, 1963 in Queens, New York), is a Los Angeles-based hard rock bassist, songwriter and composer, active since 1984. He has played with bands such as Lion, Dio, Freak of Nature and Heavy Bones. Jerry was first introduced to his instrument by his older brother Tom, who showed him how to play the basic chords.
The most well-known works Best has played in include the theme song for the Transformers movie and the album Power Love with the band Lion. Over the years, Jerry has worked together with artists like Doug Aldrich, Mike Tramp, Courtney Love, Joel Ellis, Frankie Banali and Chuck Wright.
Jerry was born in 1963 as the second child to the Best family. At that time, his family was living in Flushing Meadows in the borough of Queens in New York.
His family moved often after the job of Jerry’s father, and he ended up living in seven states during the first 18 years of his life. When he was around ten years old, his older brother Tom started teaching Jerry some chords, initially with an electronic guitar and later with a bass. Soon, they formed a band called Zeus, and played mostly at school and other local events.
Later, after graduating from high school, Jerry moved to Los Angeles, where his father and mother had already moved. In Los Angeles, Jerry played with bands such as T-zer and Mansfield, together with Pete Preston and Doug Aldrich.
Best is currently endorsed by Seymour Duncan and Hipshot. He also uses products from Dunlop, ESP, GK, Fender and Ampeg. One of his previously-used bass guitars is currently on display at the Hard Rock Cafe in Moscow.
- 1983: Overdrive, Gonna Rock You
- 1986 – Power Love
- 1987 – The Wraith/movie soundtrack
- 1987 – The Transformers The Movie: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
- 1987 – Dangerous Attraction
- 1989 – Trouble in Angel City
Freak of Nature
- 1992 – Freak of Nature
- 1993 – Rescue me
- 1994 – Gathering of Freaks
- 1998 – Outcasts
- 2002 – Freakology
- 1996 – Angry Machines
- 1997 – Capricorn
- 2004 – Songs I left behind
- 2004 – America's Sweetheart
- 2004 – Fly (Japanese only)
- 2005 – The Simple Life Soundtrack
- 2000 – Ken Korade, KGB Records
- 2002 – Tracy G, Tracy G records
- 2003 – The SURGE, KGB Records
- 2013 – Manny Charlton, Hellacious, 4818 Records
- Official Jerry Best website, "My Story" at http://www.jerrybest.com/story/, retrieved 2013-03-26.
- AllMusic, musician profile for Jerry Best, http://www.allmusic.com/artist/jerry-best-mn0001282847, retrieved 2013-03-26.
- Lion band interview with Jerry Best, Part I, Bob's Metal Show 2008, WRKC 88.5, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LKHKdVMLFc, retrieved 2013-03-26.
- Interview with Jerry Best, http://jerrybest.com/story/interview-2013.html, retrieved 2013-03-29.