Jim Jefferies (comedian)
Jefferies in 2012
|Birth name||Geoffrey James Nugent|
14 February 1977 |
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
|Alma mater||Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts|
Jefferies first achieved international attention after he was attacked onstage while performing at the Manchester Comedy Store. At one time, Jefferies incorporated the incident, including its video recording, into his act: this can be seen on his 2008 DVD Contraband. He became well known in the US after his popular debut stand-up special on HBO.
Jefferies has performed at numerous festivals, including the Edinburgh Fringe, Just for Laughs Festival, South African Comedy Festival Cape Town, Reading and Leeds Festivals and the Glastonbury Festival. He has appeared on British comedy panel shows such as Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Have I Got News for You, The Heaven and Earth Show and 8 Out of 10 Cats and the US comedy panel show The Green Room with Paul Provenza. Jefferies has also performed spots on The World Stands Up, Comedy Blue and Edinburgh and Beyond for Comedy Central.
Jefferies ran a podcast, Jim and Eddie Talkin' Shit, twice a week with his fellow comedian and friend Eddie Ifft. It was recorded from Ifft's home in Los Angeles. In December 2012, Jefferies left the podcast due to his work schedule filming his television series, Legit.
Jefferies's comedy series Legit premiered on 17 January 2013 on FX. A second season premiered on 26 February 2014, having been moved to FXX. The series received positive attention among the disabled community for its portrayal of people with mental and physical disabilities. The series was cancelled after two seasons.
In February 2014 he starred in a low budget Australian feature film called Me and My Mates vs the Zombie Apocalypse with Australian comedians Greg Fleet and Alex Williamson, which premiered in Australian cinemas on 25 July 2015. It was released in DVD and on Vimeo in Australia and New Zealand in late 2015, in the UK on 2 May 2016 and was released in the US only on 5 July 2016.
Stand-up comedy specials
- Jim Jeffries: Hell Bound: Live at The Comedy Store London – Released: 2008
- Contraband – (5000 limited editions) Released: 10 November 2008 (UK Home Video)
- I Swear to God – Broadcast: 16 May 2009; Released: 13 October 2009 (US Home Video)
- Alcoholocaust – Released: 8 November 2010 (Comedy Central UK DVD)
- Fully Functional – Release: October 2012
- Bare – Release: 29 August 2014 (Netflix)
- FreeDumb – Release: 1 July 2016 (Netflix)
- Powder Blue Internet Business Solutions. "Jim Jefferies". chortle.co.uk.
- Comic attacked on stage : News 2007 : Chortle : The UK Comedy Guide. Chortle (16 April 2007). Retrieved on 5 April 2012.
- "Jim Jeffries: How I got a scar on the back of my head". WZLX. 2011-09-16. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- Jim Jefferies: I Swear to God: Home. HBO. Retrieved on 5 April 2012.
- BBC Radio 5 live – Fighting Talk. BBC Online. Retrieved on 5 April 2012.
- Jim Jefferies & Eddie Ifft Talk Shit Podcast. Jimandeddietalkshit.com. Retrieved on 5 April 2012.
- Legit on FXX
- Couch, Aaron. "How FX's 'Legit' Became the Darling of the Disabled Community". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
- Pedersen, Erik (14 May 2014). "FXX's 'Legit' & FX's 'Chozen' Cancelled". Deadline.com. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Me and My Mates vs. The Zombie Apocalypse (2015)". IMDb. 14 April 2015.
- "Me And My Mates vs The Zombie Apocalypse". Titan View. 2015. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- "LiveSV - Your Silicon Valley Arts, Culture & Entertainment Calendar". livesv.com. Retrieved 28 February 2016.
- "Comedian Jim Jefferies on getting robbed". CNN. Time Warner. 19 August 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- Legit – Jim Jefferies & girlfriend Kate Luyben. YouTube; retrieved on 15 May 2013.
- "Kevin Pollack Chat Show: Jim Jefferies". 19 June 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2015.