|Born||2 March 1921
|Died||12 January 1943 (aged 21)
|Years of service||1939–43|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Johann Badum (2 March 1921 – 12 January 1943) was a former German Luftwaffe fighter ace and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes) during World War II. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Badum was born on 2 March 1921 at Ruthweiler near Pfalz. By January 1942 Badum was serving with the Ergängzungsstaffel of Jagdgeschwader 77 on the south area of the Eastern Front. On 26 February Badum claimed a Pe-2 bomber for his first victory. In April 1942 Badum transferred to 6 staffel of JG 77, with three victories in 45 missions by this time. He claimed a further 17 victories in July 1942 to raise his victory total to 29 and August recorded another 14 victories. He claimed his 51st victory on 16 September. Leutnant Badum was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross in October. In early December 1942, Badum, as part of II./JG 77, was posted to North Africa. Badum quickly claimed three DAF Curtiss P-40 fighters to raise his total to 54. On 12 January 1943 Badum was shot down and killed in Bf 109 G-2 “Yellow 7”, in combat with USAAF P-38 fighters near Giordani in Libya.
Badum was credited with 54 victories in some 300 missions, 51 over the Eastern Front, including 14 Il-2 Sturmoviks.
- Pilots Badge
- Iron Cross (1939) 2nd and 1st Class
- Ehrenpokal der Luftwaffe (13 September 1942)
- Front Flying Clasp of the Luftwaffe for Fighter Pilots in Gold
- German Cross in Gold on 3 October 1942 as Leutnant in the II./Jagdgeschwader 77
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 15 October 1942 as Leutnant and pilot in the 6./Jagdgeschwader 77
- Obermaier 1989, p. 83.
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2000, p. 21.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 120.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Obermaier, Ernst (1989). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe Jagdflieger 1939 – 1945 [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Luftwaffe Fighter Force 1939 – 1945] (in German). Mainz, Germany: Verlag Dieter Hoffmann. ISBN 978-3-87341-065-7.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- "Aces of the Luftwaffe". Johann Badum. Retrieved 29 February 2008.