John H. Walton
|John H. Walton|
|Known for||Lost World of .... books|
|Title||Professor of Old Testament at Wheaton College|
|Education||M.A. Biblical Studies: Old Testament, Wheaton Graduate School|
|Alma mater||Ph.D., Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion|
|Sub-discipline||Old Testament studies|
|Institutions||Moody Bible Institute|
John H. Walton (born 1952) is an Old Testament scholar and Professor at Wheaton College. He was a professor at Moody Bible Institute for 20 years. He primarily specializes is in Ancient Near East to the Old Testament, especially Genesis and its creation account. He espouses a view of creation that resonates with ancient Near Eastern mindsets, much like a temple dedication ceremony, and not a strictly material account of cosmological origins. He uses a restaurant as an analogy, arguing that a restaurant does not begin to exist when the material building is completed, but when the owner declares the restaurant open for business.
At Wheaton College he is the primary professor for its M.A in Biblical Exegesis.
John H. Walton has been controversial for his view of the Genesis creation being functional rather than material, through his book The Lost World of Genesis. He has been criticized by prominent scholar Vern Poythress and young earth creationist Ken Ham
- Walton, John H (1989). Ancient Israelite Literature in its Cultural Context, A Survey of Parallels Between Biblical and Ancient Near Eastern Texts. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
- ———; Hill, Andrew H. (1991). A Survey of the Old Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
- ——— (1994). Covenant: God's Purpose, God's Plan. Harper Collins. ISBN 978-0-3105-7751-5.
- ——— (2001). Genesis. NIV Application Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
- ——— (2004). Old Testament Today. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
- ——— (2006). Essential Bible Companion. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
- ——— (2006). Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic.
- ——— (2008). Jonah. Expositor’s Bible Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
- ——— (2009). The Lost World of Genesis One: Ancient Cosmology and the Origins Debate. Downers Grove, IL: IVP.
- ——— (2011). Genesis 1 as Ancient Cosmology. Warsaw, IA: Eisenbrauns.
- ——— (2012). Job. NIV Application Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.
- ———; Sandy, D. Brent (2013). The Lost World of Scripture: Ancient Literary Culture and Biblical Authority. Downers Grove, IL: IVP.
- ——— (2015). The Lost World of Adam and Eve: Genesis 2–3 and the Human Origins Debate. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic.
- ——— (2017). The Lost World of the Israelite Conquest: Covenant, Retribution, and the Fate of the Canaanites. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic. ISBN 9780830851843.
Articles & chapters
- ——— (1995). "The Mesopotamian Background of the Tower of Babel Account and Its Implications". Bulletin for Biblical Research. 5: 155–175.
- ——— (2000). "The Anzu Myth as relevant Background for Daniel 7?". In Collins, John; Flint, Peter. The Book of Daniel: Composition and Reception. Vetus Testament Supplement, FIOTL. Brill.
- ——— (2001). "Recovering the Vitality of the Old Testament in Preaching". Preaching Today. 17.
- ——— (2001). "Equilibrium and the Sacred Compass: The Structure of Leviticus". Bulletin for Biblical Research. 11 (2): 1–12.
- ——— (2002). "Inspired Subjectivity and Hermeneutical Objectivity". The Master’s Seminary Journal. 13 (1): 65–77.
- ——— (2003). "The Imagery of the Substitute King Ritual in Isaiah's Fourth Servant Song". Journal of Biblical Literature. 122: 734–43.
- ——— (2008). "Creation in Genesis 1:1–2:3 and the Ancient Near East: Order out of Disorder after Chaoskampf". Calvin Theological Journal. 43: 48–63.
- "John Walton", Faculty, Wheaton College.
- "Creation in Genesis 1:1–2:3 and the Ancient Near East: Order out of Disorder after Chaoskampf", Calvin Theological Journal, 43: 61–63, 2008.
- College, Wheaton (2015-06-30), M.A. in Biblical Exegesis at Wheaton College Graduate School, retrieved 2018-04-24
- "The Lost World of Adam and Eve". ChristianityToday.com. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Walton vs. Poythress". The Gospel Coalition. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- BioLogos. "John Walton Responds to Vern Poythress's Review of "The Lost World of Genesis One"". BioLogos. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "Wheaton College and False Teaching in Tennessee". Answers in Genesis. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "The Lost World of Adam and Eve: A Response". Answers in Genesis. Retrieved 2018-04-24.
- "John H Walton", Theopedia
|This article about a Christian theologian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|