John M. Gerrard
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Nebraska|
February 6, 2012
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Richard Kopf|
|Justice of the Nebraska Supreme Court|
|Appointed by||Ben Nelson|
|Preceded by||Thomas White|
|Succeeded by||William Cassel|
November 2, 1953 |
Schuyler, Nebraska, U.S.
|Alma mater||Nebraska Wesleyan University
University of Arizona
University of the Pacific
John Melvin Gerrard (born November 2, 1953) is a District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Nebraska.
Early life and education
Gerrard is a graduate of Nebraska Wesleyan University (B.S.), 1976; University of Arizona, Masters in Public Administration, 1977; and McGeorge School of Law at the University of the Pacific (J.D.), 1981. He is a member of Phi Kappa Tau fraternity.
Nebraska Supreme Court
In 1995, Nebraska Governor Ben Nelson appointed Gerrard to the Nebraska Supreme Court. At 41 years of age, Gerrard was the youngest ever appointee to the Nebraska Supreme Court. He left the court in 2012 upon appointment to the federal bench.
Federal judicial service
In January 2011, Ben Nelson, at that time a United States Senator from Nebraska, recommended Gerrard to fill a judicial seat on the United States District Court for the District of Nebraska that would be vacated later that year by Judge Richard G. Kopf. On May 4, 2011, President Barack Obama formally nominated Gerrard to replace Kopf on the federal bench.
The United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary reported Gerrard's nomination to the Senate floor on October 13, 2011. The Senate confirmed Gerrard's nomination on January 23, 2012, by a vote of 74 ayes to 16 nays. He received his commission on February 6, 2012.
- Walton, Don (January 12, 2011). "Ben Nelson recommends John Gerrard as U.S. district judge". Lincoln Journal Star. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (May 4, 2011). "President Obama Nominates Six Judges to United States District Courts". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (May 4, 2011). "Nominations Sent to the Senate". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved May 7, 2011.
- Biographical Directory of Federal Judges
- John M. Gerrard at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- State Judicial Branch. Legislature of Nebraska. Accessed 2011-02-01.
- Honorable John M. Gerrard. Nebraska Supreme Court. Accessed 2011-02-01.
- Phi Kappa Tau Hall of Fame. Phi Kappa Tau. Accessed 2011-02-01.
|Justice of the Nebraska Supreme Court
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Nebraska