John Monash Science School
|John Monash Science School|
|Founder||Government of Victoria, Monash University|
|Colour(s)||Navy blue, white, sky blue|
John Monash Science School is a state government coeducational specialist selective school in Victoria, Australia. It is the state's first specialist science secondary school. It is a school that specializes in science and technologies.
The school is located on the Clayton campus of Monash University. It opened in 2010 with a year 10 class. It is currently running at its full capacity of roughly 660 students. It is named in honour of Sir John Monash.
It is one of three recently built selective high schools in Victoria alongside Suzanne Cory High School and Nossal High School. The addition of these schools are the result of a policy of expansion, and doubles the number of fully selective government schools in Victoria. Prior to these schools, Mac.Robertson Girls' High School, Melbourne High School and the Victorian College of the Arts Secondary School were the sole selective entry schools in Victoria. John Monash Science School has a different selection process to these other schools.
A variety of elective subjects are offered in Year 10 at John Monash Science School which cover nanotechnology, marine biology, biomedicine, geology (Dynamic Earth), bioinformatics, Quarks to Quasars (physics), Pharmaceutical Sciences and Materials Science. Year 10 students also do a year long project named EEI (Extended Experimental Investigation), this results in a presentation at the John Monash Science School Science Fair.
- Principal: Peter Corkill 2009–present (Formerly of Cheltenham Secondary College)
- Assistant Principal: Andrew Chisholm 2009–present (Formerly of McKinnon Secondary College)
- Assistant Principal: Sally Cheah-Johnson 2009–present (Formerly of Mooroolbark College)
The student body is divided into four houses:
- Flannery (Green)
- Blackburn (Purple)
- Wood (Silver)
- Doherty (Blue)
NBN Virtual School of Emerging Sciences
On the 13 February 2013, the NBN Virtual School of Emerging Sciences (NVSES) was launched in a coalition effort between John Monash Science School, Monash University, and Pearson Education. Utilizing the Australian government's National Broadband Network's (NBN) educational facilities, lessons are taught by JMSS staff and Monash University scientists via internet to schools all around Australia. Two subjects are currently offered: astrophysics (which leads on to quantum physics) and nanoscience (leading on to nanotechnology).
- "First science school to be built in Vic - Breaking News - National - Breaking News".
- "$20m maths, science school for Clayton - National - theage.com.au".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-05-22. Retrieved 2009-06-02.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-09-29. Retrieved 2009-06-02.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "NVSES - The National Virtual School of Emerging Sciences".