John R. Bradley
John R. Bradley (Born 6 June 1970) is a British author and journalist who has written on Middle East issues for numerous publications, including The Economist, The Forward, Newsweek, The New Republic, The Daily Telegraph, Prospect and The Independent. Beginning in early 2011 he was a regular contributor to The Daily Mail, a British newspaper and the British weekly magazine The Spectator, where he highlighted Islamist trends in the Arab Spring. He has also appeared on television networks such as CNN and Fox News.
According to an article published in May 2015 by Vice magazine, Bradley "has remov[ed] himself from public life due to ill health," a statement that confirms an earlier posting by Bradley himself on his personal website.
Bradley is best known for his 2008 book Inside Egypt which accurately predicted the Egyptian uprising of January 2011 that ousted dictator Hosni Mubarak. In May 2011, Fareed Zakaria selected Inside Egypt as his "Book of the Week" on his GPS show:
“(This) book… in a strikingly prescient way… foretold the January revolution. (It) was banned by Mubarak’s regime — and understandably so! If you want to understand how Egypt got to this crossroads, read this book.”
For two and a half years beginning June 2001, he worked as a news editor and managing editor for the English-language daily newspaper Arab News in Saudi Arabia. Unlike other journalists until that time he was able to travel most of the country without a minder. Based on his experiences he wrote the book Saudi Arabia Exposed: Inside a Kingdom in Crisis. The book received considerable praise, with for example the New York Times review saying it provides "a highly informed, temperate and understanding account" of the country.
- Inside Egypt: The Land of the Pharaohs on the Brink of a Revolution (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008),
- Saudi Arabia Exposed: Inside a Kingdom in Crisis (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2005).
- Behind the Veil of Vice: The Business and Culture of Sex in the Middle East (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010).
- After the Arab Spring: How the Islamists Hijacked the Middle East Revolt (Palgrave Macmillan, January 2012).
- Contemporary Authors database
- The Daily Mail: John R. Bradley, author page
- The Spectator: John R. Bradley, author page
- John R. Bradley on CNN discussing the death of Saudi King Fahd
- John R. Bradley on Fox News discussing the Egyptian revolution
- Intelligence Squared. John R Bradley
- CNN World. Global Public Square. Book of the Week: Banned by Mubarak regime May 23rd, 2011
- Bradley, John R. (2005). Saudi Arabia Exposed : Inside a Kingdom in Crisis. Palgrave. pp. xii–xiv.
- Saudi Monarchy: Part of the Problem or Part of the Solution? Featuring John R. Bradley and Rachel Bronson 7 July 2005
- William Grimes, "A Glimpse of Forces Confronting Saudi Rule", The New York Times, 17 August 2005,
- "Unveiling the Middle East's Sex Industry," Salon.com, 27 September 2010,
- Debate. Why this is the moment Libya's Islamic extremists have prayed for| dailymail.co.uk