Mittelhauser attended the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where he joined the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity and graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science in 1992 and a master's degree in 1994.
In 1993, as a graduate student, he co-wrote NCSA Mosaic for Windows with fellow student Chris Wilson while working at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA). Mittelhauser was part of the original team of five programmers of Mosaic with Marc Andreessen and Eric Bina (Unix version), Aleks Totic (Mac version) and Chris Wilson (Windows version). The Windows version that Mittelhauser and Wilson wrote was the first browser with over a million downloads and is often characterized as the first widely used web browser. Mittelhauser is considered a founding father of the browser.
Mittelhauser led the software organization at OnLive, Inc. and managed their successful launch in 2010. He left at the end of that year as VP of Engineering and joined their Technical Advisory Board.
- Henrik Frystyk Nielsen (December 11, 1995). "People who have contributed to the World Wide Web project". w3.org.
- Daniel Ehrenhaft (2001). Marc Andreessen: Web Warrior. Brookfield, Connecticut: Twenty-First Century. p. 31. ISBN 9780761319641.
- James Gillies; Robert Cailliau (2007) . How the Web was Born: The Story of the World Wide Web. Oxford: Oxford University. pp. 241, 257. ISBN 9780192862075.
- Brian McCullough (April 3, 2014). "On The 20th Anniversary – An Oral History of Netscape's Founding". Internet History Podcast (audio interviews).
- Mike Swift (June 18, 2010). "Websites promote click-and-give charity". San Jose Mercury News.
- Mike Yamamoto (April 14, 2003). "Legacy: A brave new World Wide Web". CNET News. Archived from the original on July 13, 2012.
- "Company at a Glance: Geocast". MIT media.
- "Nebula Appoints Web Pioneer Jon Mittelhauser Vice President of Engineering". Business Wire. May 1, 2012.
- "Cloud Management and Self-Service IT Software for Enterprises". CloudBolt Software.
- "CloudBolt Hires Web Pioneer Jon Mittelhauser as CEO". PRWeb. December 8, 2014.
- Aditi Mishra (July 23, 2018). "Containers Provide the Key to Simpler, Scalable, More Reliable App Development". Oracle Corporation.
- Suzanne Cristallo (April 7, 1999). "The Basin serves comfort food with a touch of class". San Jose Mercury News. Archived from the original on July 18, 2011.
- Robin Davis (March 17, 1999). "What's New: Saratoga's Basin Blends Whimsy and Work". San Francisco Chronicle.