|Town of Jonesville|
Motorists used the old Black River bridge in Jonesville prior to completion of the new structure to the right.
|• Mayor||Hiram Evans (D)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Jonesville is the largest town in Catahoula Parish, Louisiana, United States, at the confluence of the Ouachita, Tensas, and Little rivers. The three rivers become the Black River at Jonesville, though the "Black" is primarily the continuation of the Ouachita River. A new bridge has been built over the Black River. After some miles, the Black flows into the Red River.
Jonesville is located at  Its northern border is formed by the Little River, while its eastern border is formed by the Black River. The confluence of the Ouachita and Tensas rivers to form the Black River is 0.4 miles (0.64 km) north of the town limits. Concordia Parish is to the east across the Black River.(31.624934, −91.826339).
U.S. Route 84 passes through the town as 4th Street and leads east 16 miles (26 km) to Ferriday and west 23 miles (37 km) to Jena. Louisiana State Highway 124 leads north 10 miles (16 km) to Harrisonburg, the Catahoula Parish seat, and south 24 miles (39 km) to its end in Argo.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,469 people, 916 households, and 620 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,291.4 people per square mile (499.1/km²). There were 1,032 housing units at an average density of 539.8 per square mile (208.6/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 39.77% White, 59.17% African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.12% Asian, and 0.65% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.97% of the population.
There were 916 households out of which 36.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.7% were married couples living together, 28.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.3% were non-families. 28.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the town the population was spread out with 29.5% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 26.2% from 25 to 44, 18.7% from 45 to 64, and 16.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 84.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $18,622, and the median income for a family was $23,462. Males had a median income of $21,139 versus $18,482 for females. The per capita income for the town was $10,173. About 31.1% of families and 36.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 49.7% of those under age 18 and 25.5% of those age 65 or over.
Riverside Park in Jonesville at formation of Black River
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Jonesville has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- William B. Atkins, former member of both houses of the Louisiana legislature; Jonesville resident
- Charles A. Marvin, district attorney of Bossier and Webster parishes (1971-1975) and judge of the Louisiana Circuit Court of Appeal for the Second District in Shreveport (1975-1999), born in Jonesville in 1929
- Chris Shivers, champion rodeo performer, resides with his family in Jonesville
- Mayor Hiram Evans is listed among the state and local officials who have endorsed the reelection in 2014 of Democrat U.S. Senator Mary Landrieu.
- "Landrieu’s GOP Endorsements Pale In Comparison To 2008 Election". thehayride.com. Retrieved September 12, 2014.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Jonesville town, Louisiana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 18, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Climate Summary for Jonesville, Louisiana
- "Charles Marvin". genealogybuff.com. Retrieved November 28, 2013.
- Jonesville Progress Community Progress Site for Jonesville, LA
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jonesville, Louisiana.|